My Rubbermaid Garage Makeover (from bad to great) – Part 1 of a series

I’ve got a BIG problem. My garage is a total mess.

Jim's Messy Garage

Kids toys are an issue in my garage
I’ve got kid stuff all over the place.
Metal garage shelves full of junk and ready to fall down
My cheap metal shelves are overloaded and ready to fall down.
Shoes laying all over the place
Shoes are scattered all over the floor.
Coolers, ladders and other tools not arranged well
Ladders and garden tools don’t really have a good home. I need help!
Bikes are taking up too much room in my garage
Three kids bikes and two adult bikes are taking up way too much floor space.
View the complete photo gallery at Flickr

I’ve got bikes, toys, ladders, coolers, lawnmowers, gardening tools, vacuum cleaners, brooms, mops, backpacks, paint cans, shoes, junk, junk and more junk.

I’m frustrated and fed up. I’m tired of the clutter. I’m ready to clean and organize my garage the right way. A way that will work for me and my family.

The time has come to conquer this disaster. I’m tired of making excuses. Tired of the mess. I know my garage can be better than it is and I’m ready to make the commitment to get it organized. The best part about this project is I’m going to do it in a very interesting and fun way.

I’m enlisting YOUR help. I want you to help guide me through this process. I want to hear your suggestions and recommendations. What’s worked for you? How have your neighbors organized their garages. What tips and tricks have you learned from watching TV or reading magazines. I’m all ears. Just click the comment link below to submit your ideas and suggestions.

From start to finish I’m going to ask for your input and at the end of the project we’ll all share in the grand reveal.

There’s only one stipulation. I need to use Rubbermaid products when appropriate. That shouldn’t be hard because we have hundreds of organization and storage solutions. We’ve got FastTrack garage organization products, heavy-duty shelving, totes galore, and more.

One final thing… thank you in advance for your help. It’s greatly appreciated.

——————————————

HELPFUL INFORMATION:

——————————————–

My Rubbermaid Garage Makeover (from bad to great)

- Part #1: I’ve got a BIG problem. My garage is a total mess

- Part #2: Planning is half the battle (or at least some of the battle)

- Part #3: Tackling the installation – One step at a time

- Part #4: My garage is really starting to shape up

- Part #5: I love my garage! I never expected it to turn out this good.

, , ,

14 Responses to My Rubbermaid Garage Makeover (from bad to great) – Part 1 of a series

1. georgina July 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

in our last garage, my husband built a platform about 4 ft from the top of the garage for storage of seasonal items, plus things we were not ready to get rid of, apparently this is popular with italians, so we stole the idea from them. about a third of your items could go up there.
    hope this is a helpfull idea

2. Rob Ainbinder October 12, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

For some information on cabinet hinge adjustment I found this page helpful. http://www.hafele.com/us/products/9168.asp

3. Sharon W July 2, 2009 at 2:39 pm #

Start by pulling EVERYTHING out of the garage and sorting into categories – Gardening/Yard Care, Car Care, General Storage, Holiday Decorations, Summer Toys, Laundry, Tools, Household Supplies (like extra toilet paper), Sports, etc. Decide what is accessed frequently and what is accessed only once a year. Then decide where it makes sense to put everything. Those items needed most frequently should be put where they can be easily accessed, even when the cars are in the garage. Those the least often, such as seasonal decorations or toys, put where they are out of the way until needed.
    If shoes are removed before coming in the house or just after, keep a shoe rack by the door. Our house is two stories and we don’t want to keep going up/down the stairs to get different shoes, so we each keep several pairs of shoes in a hanging shoe caddy in the hall closet.

4. Jim Deitzel June 23, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Are you talking about the hinges on the cabinets? I don’t know the answer. I did it using trial and error. I’m sure there is a specific way to adjust hinges. Had the same issue on kitchen cabinet doors. Maybe our customer service department would have the answer.

5. kevin June 23, 2009 at 4:27 pm #

anyone have any ideas or suggestions on installing the hinges on these things…i cant for the life of me get them without a gap in front, top or bottom….driving me nuts

6. Jim Deitzel May 26, 2009 at 7:52 am #

I hope your project is a success. We’d love to see photos.

7. Maria May 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm #

My husband and I are going to “take on” our disorganized garage in the next few weeks! We are going to use some of the tips that were posted. Thanks!

8. Jim Deitzel March 30, 2009 at 11:44 am #

Thanks for the comments. I’m sure you can get your garage organized. It just takes some patience, thought and planning. Good luck.

9. Kristina March 30, 2009 at 8:20 am #

I like the idea of planning areas. As of now, I haven’t really thought about what we use our garage for. I’m generally an organized person except when it comes to the garage. Ours looks 10x worse than your before. My husband is a pack rat and I am not. So that’s part of the problem. Anyway, love all the storage containers, etc. Great series.

10. Alexis July 7, 2008 at 4:01 pm #

When planning out your organization, plan “areas”. Like a gardening area, a “Kids Stuff” area, a tool area… you get the picture. That way anything new has a place to go and you can always find what you need. Also, LABEL, LABEL, LABEL! And, you may find that stuff keeps getting left out, in that case, move the storage where it is needed, or make new storage there. Good luck!

11. Jim Deitzel June 30, 2008 at 4:34 pm #

Below is the link to Eddo’s post referred to in the comment below. Check it out. Be sure to browse his blog while you’re there. He seems to be a pretty neat guy.

12. eddo June 30, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

Hey, this is cool! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment about the Rubbermaid products.
    My Suggestions:
    1. Get a bigger garage
    2. Have a garage sale and get rid of half of that stuff!
    3. I’m trying to figure out a way to make usage of my ceiling space, perhaps some sort of netting for balls or other light but bulky items.
    Your garage is about the same size as mine, but I don’t have a hot water heater in it… I’d have to put shelving over that and if at all possible box it in and then paint it to look like some sort of toxic waste container. CAUTION!

13. Jim Deitzel June 25, 2008 at 11:19 am #

TSS, thanks for the input. Labeling is a great idea and should prove useful.

14. TSS June 25, 2008 at 11:12 am #

Finding bins for all your items is easy but it won’t be enough. Label them and get stackable ones so that you can save floor space and still know where everything is.