Alternative uses for Food Storage containers

Tote_for_nuts_2
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, in my laundry room I have a bunch of small Rubbermaid totes to store and organize a wide variety items.

One of the things I keep in my totes (since I don’t have a garage) are nuts, bolts, screws and nails sorted and stored inside of Rubbermaid Premier food storage containers.

Not only is Premier great for storing food, I have found it to be an awesome way to organize small hardware.

Do you have any alternative uses for food storage containers? We would love to hear your ideas.

, , , ,

7 Responses to Alternative uses for Food Storage containers

1. Storage Cabinets July 15, 2009 at 6:22 am #

Wow what a valuable article. Thanx for the post :)

2. Julie Bestry November 21, 2008 at 9:19 pm #

How about storing Scrabble tiles? The Monopoly bank (funny money) and game pieces, especially after your older board’s box has seen better days? Jigsaw puzzle pieces–you can even take a digital photo of the box cover so that when it fades and crumbles, you can toss it and store the photo with the puzzle pieces.
    Office supplies (paper clips, sticky pads, staplers, pens) when you’ve got a mobile office. Touchup paints, mini-wipes, Mr. Clean sponges. Both of these would be great for real estate agents, who always need a little bit of magic close at hand.
    For mini (and not so mini) cookie cutters. Without care, they’ll travel all over a drawer or cabinet under their own secret Cookie People power. This keeps them corralled at home.

3. Deb Lee @ Organize to Revitalize! November 21, 2008 at 6:37 pm #

I use a food storage container to keep the office supplies that I carry with me to my clients’ homes/offices: mini stapler, staples, paper clips, rubberbands, and label tape. That way, if my client has run out of supplies, I have some. The whole container sits nicely in my work tote.

4. Wendy at Shopping Gems November 21, 2008 at 1:55 pm #

My husband and I have a Lavender business (http://wholesale.limaugeboutique.com) (yes, I know what is that) and we use Rubbermaid containers all of the time to store our lavender buds, make our bulk lavender bath tea, put our lavender eye pillow mixture in and hold fabric and sachets. Rubbermaid containers have so many uses and we just love them.
    I would love to write up a review of Rubbermaid on my Shopping Gems site at http://www.shopping-gems.com and share with my readers about all of the great Rubbermaid products and give them ideas for using Rubbermaid products in a variety of ways. Just email me if you are interested.
    Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TheComputerLady

5. mari November 21, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

In my home, your food storage containers are the best to keep lego pieces nice and tidy, art supplies, keepsakes and pictures. My cat uses one in particular as her crate.

6. Mom on the Run November 21, 2008 at 1:46 pm #

I stote flashcards, math card games, and Brain Quests in a small Rubbermaid. I have a cabinet in my office where I use small rubbermaids for thumbtacks, postit notes, paper clips, staples, pencils, and glue sticks. I put a blank mailing label on one end and write on what is in the box.
    I use underneath the bed boxes in my daughter’s room. one daughter stores dolls and the other stores paper and other supplies.
    I use a large rubbermaid for storing dress-up clothes and hats in my son’s room.

7. Robyns Online World November 21, 2008 at 1:39 pm #

For the holidays, these are ways I use them:
    - store your extra bulbs for holiday lights
    - store ornament hooks