Decorating for the Holidays

Storage4_3
Every first weekend in December my wonderful family and I spend the time decorating our house for Christmas. We put on some good music, light some sugar cookie scented candles and my son and daughter put on their Santa hats. Everyone is in the holiday spirit.

Storage5
For many years we kept our holiday decorations in cardboard boxes in the attic. This was never a really good idea. Since the cardboard boxes with holiday decorations looked exactly like the cardboard boxes with old books which meant we had to open each box to find the ones with the decorations. Some of the time we even missed an entire box of ornaments.

A few years ago I became so tired of the cardboard boxes I decided to switch to Rubbermaid totes.  I journeyed to Walmart and purchased half a dozen totes all in the same style, size and color. I had not purposely planned to purchase all the same style totes but doing so resulted in some great unintended consequences.

All of my Christmas totes are now brown with clear tops.  Having all these totes in the same color allows me to very easily find them when searching the dark attic. Since they are all the same style and size they stack very well too. This makes storing them easy.  The fact they are durable plastic instead of cardboard aids in protecting the decorations inside.

In addition to the plastic totes I do also have a couple holiday storage cubes to hold our ornaments. The cubes work well because they have dividers so each ornament has it’s own small compartment to keep it safe.

So, for all of you who are still storing your decorations in cardboard boxes. You may want to consider transferring your decorations into a plastic tote this year. I think you’ll be glad you did.

Happy Holidays!

, , ,

8 Responses to Decorating for the Holidays

1. Jim Deitzel January 4, 2011 at 7:45 am #

I don’t believe we manufacture the items shown in this post anymore. To be honest, the plastic totes are much more durable and worked better.

2. KB December 31, 2010 at 6:13 pm #

Can you tell me where I can buy the holiday storage totes? I purchased 1 last yr & I love it!! This year, I found that I need more storage but I can’t find any in the stores or online. Thank you.

3. Deb Lee December 18, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

I’m also a fan of clear bins, but when using opaque ones, put a label on at least two sides of the container. If you really want to see what’s inside, take a picture of the items that will live container and use that as your label.

4. niki December 9, 2008 at 3:21 pm #

I use those two. I also do an extra step because the place we store the decorations is very small and we have to ensure we store it a certain way after Christmas. I would love to hear what you think http://tinyurl.com/6e7cma

5. Jim Deitzel December 8, 2008 at 4:21 pm #

I would agree using clear bins is probably a better idea. Much easier to see what’s inside. Thanks for the comments.

6. Mary Gibson December 8, 2008 at 3:55 pm #

While I’m not so organized that all my decorations are in the same type of bin, I am a big fan of using clear bins instead of opaque ones. I can more quickly tell my husband which boxes I need where, and keep my kids out of the boxes with the more delicate ornaments.

7. Jim Deitzel December 8, 2008 at 11:14 am #

The packing list is a great idea. Maybe I’ll have my daughter do that. She loves creating lists.
    Taking the decorations down isn’t nearly as fun.

8. Julie Bestry December 8, 2008 at 10:53 am #

Grouping “like with like” is a major tenet of organizing, and grouping like containers with like containers is a great extension of that.
    I always encourage clients to use tubs (Rubbermaid, of course) instead of cardboard, not only for the reason you mention, but because spiders love cardboard (eek!) and you can’t get glitter or glue or whatever off of cardboard, but plastic/rubber/resin can be easily washed or wiped clean.
    Just a few tips:
    #1, regarding your “dark” attic. Pick up a snake light & curl it around one of the beams or posts. Those things are incredibly bright.
    #2, before you pack away this year’s holiday decorations, consider making a list of what you have, and maybe even numbering the bins. If you create the list in your computer, you can even update it yearly so you won’t be looking for things you got rid of years ago.
    I’m curious, do you make taking DOWN the decorations as pleasant and spirited as you do putting them up?