Randi’s Closet Makeover – The Before

Cimg8300
So, with my OCD organization tendencies, I find my friend Randi’s closet slightly scary.  I am going to give her an Extreme Rubbermaid Closet Makeover in the next few weeks, and would love your advice on what we should do with the space.

Here is the info:

• Her closet is about 8-10’ long and about 5’ wide
  • There is only currently one hang bar & shelf (although the Homefree Closet system I plan to install will let us go vertical)
  • She needs to store both clothing (mostly hanging), as well as holiday decorations and infrequently used items

Help us come up with ideas, please!!

Randi’s Closet Makeover Series

, ,

7 Responses to Randi’s Closet Makeover – The Before

1. Closet January 29, 2009 at 4:06 am #

Hi,
    Closet organization is definitely a great idea. If we know the tips about organizing the closets, Then it becomes easier to make arrangements in the home. Mostly womens have the closets.!!!!!
    Kate.

2. Steve Nickse January 6, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Closet systems must be designed to accomodate the items that will be stored in the closet. Count everything and accomodate it in the plan. Then build it with high quality closet parts and the closet system will last forever.

3. Lauren December 11, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

More great ideas – thanks for the help!!

4. lauren December 11, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

Wow – thanks for all the great advice. I think my first step will be to have her try on everything like you recommended and hopefully that will get rid of a few unneeded items. I am going to work out my plan in the next few weeks and will look forward to sharing the updates!

5. Ellen Damaschino December 11, 2008 at 12:07 pm #

I agree completely with Julie but ant to add a few ideas. I see extra storage space above the one shelf so add a second shelf above the existing one. Use small bins that are labeled to store off season clothing. You don’t want large heavy bins up on high shelves for obvious reasons. Don’t forget to use the inside of the closet door; a clear or canvas shoe holder that can hold scarfs, hats or small purses or just a set of hooks for the same purpose.
    I have a very similar closet have hooks on the “blank” wall to hang my handbags and hats.
    If you have to use the closet as storage for out of season hanging items then consider getting black canvas garment bags to store them in. The black will conceal the items and give you less visual clutter in your closet so the items in the bag will not become a ‘choice” as you look into the closet every morning. Remember to label the garment bags with the contents, “party clothes,” “heavy coats,” etc…I like to use plain large craft tags with nice ribbons and tie the tag onto the hanger. Have fun!

6. Jim Deitzel December 11, 2008 at 11:43 am #

Julie, great tips. I would agree. Thinking outside the ‘closet’ is a great way to approach this.

7. Julie Bestry December 11, 2008 at 11:15 am #

A few things hit me right away. First, please take all of her clothing out of the dry cleaning bags. The plastic doesn’t allow air to circulate, so the clothes can’t “breathe”, reducing the lifespan of the clothing. It also makes it harder to really see what she has. If there’s a speciality item which she feels must be kept in some sort of bag, they do make canvas hanging bags with cedar tops, but it’s unlikely she’ll need this.
    The second issue is one of perception. You say she “needs to store both clothing (mostly hanging), as well as holiday decorations and infrequently used items”. This very likely not accurate. :-) It’s almost like saying “Well, my kitchen is very small and I don’t have a lot of storage, so I need to keep the flour and sugar with the bleach and rat poison.” You need to think outside the closet.
    Even if she has a micro-mini studio apartment, there are all sorts of options other than keeping her holiday decorations in the bedroom closet, anything from adding bed risers (those things that look like Romper Stompers) and using Rubbermaid underbed storage, to decluttering other, more appropriate spaces to make room.
    I don’t want to hijack the thread, so for now, I’ll leave you to your own creative devices. But at least, while you’re working on the organizing project, since it’s already the holidays, pull all of the holiday decorations out, and store the boxes/containers elsewhere so you can get a sense of the space in which you’re working.
    The same goes with the infrequently used items. Whose to say her clothes closet has to be the final resting place? If we know what else is being stored (I can only see boxes and what looks like a comforter), we can offer more specific advice as to where things might live a better life.
    And, of course, you’ll want her to try on every piece of clothing and every pair of shoes she hasn’t actually worn in the last few months, to make sure each fits, is clean and undamaged, and that she *will* actually wear it. Put that Pareto (80/20) Rule to work and purge anything that no longer suits the lifestyle she leads.
    Keep us updated!