Ilene Drexler, CPO – New York, NY – www.OrganizingWiz.com
1. How long have you been a professional organizer?
I’ve been a professional organizer for 4.5 years.
2. What inspired you to become a professional organizer?
My lifelong passion for organizing . I had spent 20 years in corporate operations working on efficiency and process improvement in supply chain management, but was tired of the corporate world. It’s so much more rewarding seeing results quickly in a one-on-one with clients, vs. waiting months for corporate project teams to produce results. I love the fact that I can transform an area for a client in 2-4 hours.
3. What is the most common organizing project you’re hired to do?
Filing systems/home office organizing is #1, with closet organizing being a close second. These two areas represent about 70-80% of my business.
4. What is the most common organizing challenge people have?
Getting rid of the unneeded/unloved "stuff". So may clients get stuck in clutter because for whatever the reason, they have not gotten rid of the things that are just in their way. Working with a Professional Organizer can help them to make decisions about letting go. Most feel much "lighter" afterwards (their words).
5. If you had to pick ‘your’ biggest organizing challenge, what would it be?
There is never enough time to do all the things I want to with my business for longer term projects like working on my web site content, writing articles, etc. I’m pretty organized, but as a solopreneur, client work & development take most of my time. Having a staff is the only thing I miss about working in the corporate world.
6. What one tip would you give to people who are trying to get organized?
If you want a different result, you have to be willing to change your habits regardless of the organizing system implemented; it’s hard work. It’s been shown to take 21 days of doing the new behavior to create a new habit. An organizer can create the best system in the world for you, but if you are not willing to do things differently, you won’t accomplish long term change.
7. The # 1 question I get is how long do I need to keep this piece of paper?
The answer of course varies based on the type of record.
8. How can potential clients get in touch with you?
Certified Professional Organizer ®
The Organizing Wiz ®
201 East 87th Street #11G
New York, NY 10128
Web Site: www.organizingwiz.com