Attack of the Animals – Why do they chew on plastic?

Animal-chewing
It seems that no matter
the time of year, Rubbermaid Consumer Services receives a number of phone calls
regarding animals chewing our refuse containers, sheds, or other outdoor storage
items.  While this is not a manufacturing issue, it is an irritating one to
those who fight the battle.

Animals are not attracted
to the plastic; they are attracted to the odors emitted from items stored
inside.  Here are some suggestions on how to deter animal chewing (and to
overpower the odors that attract animals):

1.  Using a sock or
cheesecloth, place mothballs inside and tape to the underside of the refuse
container lid.  Caution: mothballs are toxic when ingested and may kill
birds.
2.  Rub Capsaicin (an
arthritis cream) on the outside of the container.
3.  Make your own
repellent
    - 1 small bottle of
hot pepper sauce
    – 1 gallon of
water
    - 1 tsp. of mild
liquid detergent such as dishwashing detergent.
    – Combine all
ingredients and spray on containers or shed.
4.  Place rags soaked
with ammonia inside the item.
5.  Rub cayenne pepper
onto the unit.

There are many companies
that offer deer and squirrel repellent sprays that can be found in home
improvement and gardening stores.  Follow manufacturer's instructions when
using.

In the instance that a
piece of your shed is damaged or the lid to your refuse container needs to be
replaced, please call Rubbermaid Consumer Services for pricing and
availability.  We can be reached by calling 1-888-895-2110 Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET.

Note: The Animal Stopper Refuse Container does offer a defense mechanism for keeping animals out
by locking the lid in place.  While it does keep animals from removing the lid,
it does not prevent animal chewing.

Hope that helps answer some of the common questions about why animals chew on plastic.

, , ,

7 Responses to Attack of the Animals – Why do they chew on plastic?

1. Virgil October 15, 2016 at 5:16 am #

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to provide one thing again and aid others like you aided me.

2. juegos gratis minecraft October 14, 2016 at 10:58 am #

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both educative and entertaining,
    and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I’m very happy I came across this in my search for something regarding this.

3. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 3:46 pm #

Asking questions are in fact good thing if you are not
    understanding anything completely, however this paragraph provides nice understanding yet.

4. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 5:31 am #

At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming over again to read
    other news.

5. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 12:14 pm #

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and entertaining, and
    let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The issue is something too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I found this during my hunt for something concerning
    this.

6. descargar gratis minecraft October 10, 2016 at 5:41 pm #

Hi there mates, nice post and fastidious urging commented
    here, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

7. Jamel October 6, 2016 at 8:18 am #

Hello there, You have performed an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.