Soup Dinners = Super Solutions

One way I have been able to save some money this winter on my food budget is to make large batches of soup and freeze them in portion sized containers.   My favorite to use are Premier for really two reasons:

1 – they come in perfect portion sizes (1.25 and 2 cups )

2 -  tomato based soups don’t stain Premier since they are stain resistant.

They are convenient for taking to lunch or having a warm dinner without the fuss of preparing a meal after work.   Tip – take them out 24 hours since the soup tastes better when it defrosts naturally.  I then microwave it to warm it up when I am ready for a quick meal.

Soup-in-the-freezer I thought I would share my stepfather’s recipe for Beef & Vegetable stew.  It has been in his family for years and is one of my favorite winter treats:

Buster’s Beef & Vegetable Stew

Heat ½ stick margarine

Add 3 onions diced small and 6 stalks of celery, chopped

Add 2” water and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes

Add 2 lbs stew beef and cook for another 15-20 minutes

Add 10 small diced peeled potatoes (about ½” size) and cook another 15-20 minutes

Finally, add 4 cans diced tomatoes, 3 cans of corn, and 3 cans butter beans (aka lima beans)

Simmer along, and add salt, pepper, sugar and hot sauce to tast

Does anyone know other tips for saving $ this winter?

, , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Soup Dinners = Super Solutions

1. Lauren Spahr March 9, 2009 at 6:07 pm #

Thanks for your commens – great ideas!

2. Scordo.com March 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm #

Hi,
    You can save money not just via making soups in large quantities and freezing in individual containers, but you can apply the same principle to every meal you make.
    For example, I usually make a bit more of each dish at dinner time and then carefully pack leftovers for lunch the next day or freeze the containers for lunch the following week.
    I jotted down a few recipes on my blog (including some advice on why eating out is a waste of money):
    Best,
    Vince

3. Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam February 23, 2009 at 8:57 am #

I though I had tried tomato based soups in my Rubbermaid and they stained, but I am all about double checking. May have been an off brand. I love freezing soups and you’re right…the staining for me is a pet peeve. :)

4. shannon February 22, 2009 at 1:36 pm #

Very nice, love the premier system! Thanks for sharing.

5. Allison Carter February 20, 2009 at 9:37 pm #

Can’t believe you missed the opportunity to call it “Souper Solutions.” Too corny huh?

6. Lauren Spahr February 20, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

I was confusing in my tweet – folks replied in both the blog and to twitter so took the timestamped 5th one from both sources. however, will send you a set as well for being 5th on the blog :) i’ll send you an email to get your address!

7. Toni-Lynn @ Grocery Price Blog February 20, 2009 at 11:46 am #

I am confused :( He was #2?

8. Lauren Spahr February 20, 2009 at 11:41 am #

Counting tweets and blog replies, Tom won – congrats :) Enjoy your Friday!

9. Chris Griswold February 20, 2009 at 11:40 am #

This is really smart, and I will be definitely be making the stew.
    Oh, pajamas! #6!

10. Toni-Lynn @ Grocery Price Blog February 20, 2009 at 11:40 am #

I think I am the 5th reply?!? I hope so!!
    RT @RubbermaidTwo: Check out my soup blog – http://bit.ly/krP50 – 5th person to reply gets a free set of the Rubbermaid Premier mentioned!

11. kathy February 20, 2009 at 11:39 am #

good idea.. thanks

12. Royal @ A Few Fries Short February 20, 2009 at 11:37 am #

My wife could so use some of these. We really love rubbermaid!
    Royal

13. Tom Bates February 20, 2009 at 11:35 am #

I have to check out the soup blog

14. Chad February 20, 2009 at 11:32 am #

I need some Rubbermaid containers. I dont have any.