On Twitter yesterday there were a couple tweets about recipes for bananas. I spoke up so I could mention my most favorite recipe for bananas, Banana Cake. Which, just so happened, was being made for my sons birthday, March 17th.
This is no ordinary banana cake. I've had this banana cake every year for my birthday since I was a young kid (so did my brothers). When I lived in Colorado, and my mom lived in Pittsburgh, she would bake the cake and FedEx it to me. One year while in Charlotte, NC she flew down from Pittsburgh with cake in hand.
In addition to having this cake every year for my birthday my mom and her brothers and sister also had this same cake. My wife is now in charge of carrying on the tradition. Both my son and I get this banana cake every year and I'm sure it will carry on far into the future.
Anyway, here's the recipe along with some photos. Oh… just so it fits into the Rubbermaid blog, we do store it in a Rubbermaid cake keeper
BANANA CAKE with BAKERS ICING
Things You'll Need
- Three tiered cake tins: 13", 10" and 8"
- Good mixer
- Cake keeper (although the cake will be gone quickly
Banana Cake Instructions
- STEP 1
- Preheat Oven to 375°
- Butter cake pans and dust with flour
- STEP 2
- Cream and set aside
- Cut up 5 bananas (ripe or over ripe) and place in a small mixer bowl
- STEP 3
- Sift together – set aside
- 3 cup flour
- ¾ t baking powder
- 1 ¼ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- STEP 4a
- In large mixing bowl cream together
- ¾ c shortening
- 2 ¼ c white sugar
- STEP 4b
- Then add
- 3 eggs
- ½ t vanilla
- STEP 5
- Then alternate creamed bananas, flour mixture and ½ c sour milk (sour milk can be made by adding 1T vinegar to whole milk)
- Pour in pans and cook for 35 minutes at 375 (do toothpick test)
Bakers Icing Instructions
(Hint: Doubling this guarantees enough to cover the tower of cake!)
- STEP 1
- Heat on stove top on lowest setting – add ingredients together slowly, heat until thickened.
- Do not heat too fast!
- 4 T flour
- 1c milk
- 1 t vanilla
- Set aside to cool COMPLETELY.
- STEP 2
- While above is cooling, mix on cream setting until doubled
- ¼ lb (1 stick) margarine
- ½ c shortening
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- Once doubled, slowly add cooled mixture into sugar mixture and ice the cake