Hall Closet Help for Abby?

Yesterday, I received an inquiry from our friend Abby at Steals and Deals who wrote asking if we could help her with her hall closet.  She is having trouble organizing the closet due to an overwhelming amount of mittens, gloves & scarves and lack of an organization system that actually works for her space.

Jim and I, along with our closet product manager, Betty, are planning on sending some recommendations for Abby to help.   Does anyone have any additional ideas for Abby? If so, please post below.

, , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Hall Closet Help for Abby?

1. Alphonse October 15, 2016 at 5:10 am #

Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to check it out. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Terrific blog and superb style and design.

2. minecraft el juego October 14, 2016 at 10:06 am #

Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by chance, and I am surprised why this accident didn’t came about
    earlier! I bookmarked it.

3. como descargar minecraft pe October 13, 2016 at 2:19 pm #

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your blog.
    You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a
    good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to
    write some material for your blog in exchange for a
    link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested. Cheers!

4. descargar minecraft gratis October 13, 2016 at 1:17 am #

Excellent site. Lots of helpful info here. I’m sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.

And obviously, thank you in your sweat!

5. como descargar minecraft para windows 10 October 12, 2016 at 9:18 am #

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
    website. I really hope to view the same high-grade content from you later on as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to
    get my own site now 😉

6. minecraft October 10, 2016 at 7:31 pm #

Hi this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting
    to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to
    manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.

Any help would be enormously appreciated!

7. descargar minecraft 1.10 gratis October 8, 2016 at 5:02 pm #

Thanks , I’ve recently been looking for info about this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have found out so far.
    But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain in regards to the supply?

8. Stacy October 6, 2016 at 7:42 am #

Very efficiently written story. It will be valuable to anyone who usess it, including yours truly :). Keep up the good work – looking forward to more posts.

9. Lauren Spahr June 3, 2009 at 1:14 pm #

Jill, Thanks for all the great ideas. I emailed them to Abby this morning. If you want us to post your challenges, I am sure a few of our professional organizer friends would love to help weigh in. Just email me at with photos and we can talk about potential solutions.

10. Jen Hill June 3, 2009 at 12:45 am #

I’m sure this is too late to help with Abby’s order, but what is (mostly!) working for me is having a clear shoe organizer hanging in the closet as well as a set of clear drawers. The shoe organizer that I prefer though is the kind that hangs from the bar and is narrow but long. The top 2 holes belong to Dad, the next 2 are Mom’s, and the lowest ones are divided amongst my 3 kids. Dad’s spaces have his work gloves, safety glasses, and hats. Mine is mostly gloves and scarves. For the kids, I try to keep the “sets” together. For all of us, I use a clothes pin to pin the gloves/mittens together so they are always easy to find. For the kids, if the gloves match a hat, I stuff the gloves inside the matching hat (and anything else in the set)so it’s all there and easy to grab. The only reason this isn’t working currently is that my 21 month old LOVES to get out the hats and gloves and put them on, no matter what the temperature is! She tends to leave a trail so at least she’s easy to find! But, that illustrates for you how easy this system is for kids to get their things. I use the drawers for less often used items like snow gloves. We live in Indiana and don’t have too much snow usually. So the kids don’t need or want heavy waterproof winter gloves on a daily basis. Same for less often worn hats, scarves, etc. I even have the babies rain boots in a drawer b/c they are still small enough! The bottom drawer is used for “shoe” items – polish, shoeshine materials, extra laces, waterproof spray, etc. And on top I have bags of bags. I use a sturdy bag with handles and neatly fold other like size bags to store in it. I think I have 3 bags of graduating sizes. My drawers are about 30″ wide so I use the hanging bar above it to hang my kids’ coats so there is room to see. Then I hang the longer coats (the grown ups’ coats and the kids’ longer dress coats) on either side – kids to the left, adults to the right. And I always group hanging items by person so it’s easy for anyone to find the coat that is being hunted. “Hey Abby! Would you please bring me my long black dress coat?” She knows exactly where to go to find it in the closet instead of having to hunt through 5 peoples coats! Hope these few ideas are helpful. I’m one of those people who is organized at heart and once I find a system that works, I’m a maniac about keeping it that way. But until I find that system that works for me, it’s utter chaos – you should see my countertop and desk…yikes! Any ideas for me?!

11. Lauren Spahr March 27, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

Wow – great comments, ladies! I am working on a product order for Abby.
    So far I plan to include:
    -2 cubbies for shoes / small objects
    -An over the door shoe organzers for gloves / kids stuff
    -Clear shoeboxes for stacking
    We really appreciate your input!

12. Lauren Halagarda March 27, 2009 at 12:27 pm #

I would venture a guess that Abby has the typical rod & shelf setup standard in most closets…First and foremost, though, she needs to sort. Sort & categorize everything in the closet- does it all belong there? Are there things that can be let go of?
    Following that, I would look at putting all of the short hang items together to make space for a cubby or shelving unit. Since it’s apparent that there are some children involved, use some clearly labeled bins, like the Clear Impressions containers from Rubbermaid (recommend clear) for each child’s gear. This allows them to see what they have but doesn’t require too much from them to put it back where it belongs- and that is key.
    Hooks at their height (not eye-poking level, though) work great for hanging book bags or coats- just make sure that there is a loop on the item to make it easy.

13. Liz Jenkins March 26, 2009 at 10:42 pm #

It’s kind of hard to tell, but based on hall closets I’ve worked on – a narrow but tall shelving unit set to one side that has bins in it may work well. I’ve set some up where each person had a bin, or where one was for hats, one for gloves, etc. Depending on the width of the space, a lower, horizontal shelving unit (kind of a bench with cubbies) can work as well. Then each bin can hold a particular item and the top can also have open bins.
    Hooks on the inside wall near the door are good for hoodies, backpacks and canvas bags – I usually install double hooks both high and low on both sides.
    Hope this is helpful!

14. Mandi March 26, 2009 at 8:20 pm #

I love shoe organizers (the mesh kind that hang over a closet door) for organizing, well, anything, and they would be perfect for all those scarves, hats and gloves. The pockets are big enough to store the sets together, which makes grabbing to right set easy!
    We didn’t want to hooks showing over our door, so we hung ours on the wall inside the closet instead, but it still works great!