Spring Cleaning with Slide & Stack

We have an item in our kitchen product portfolio called Slide & Stack.  Every time we switch our color offering, they do a giveaway of the outdated colors in our office.  Over the years, I have collected a ton of these, and I was joking with our product manager, Alissa, that I had one in every room in the house!

I would say the most unusual use would be in the freezer.  To save money, I buy chicken in bulk and put them in individual freezer baggies so I can save them for later use. I was frustrated with them always tumbling out of the freezer, so the Slide & Stack has helped keep them in order!

Just wanted to share the ways I have used it in my house case it can help with your Spring Cleaning challenges.

I'd love to help one of you out – leave a post below about why you need a few of these Slide & Stacks.  Alissa, our product manager, will guest judge these on Monday 4/27 @ 1pm and we'll select a winner to win a case for their Spring Cleaning!

7 uses mesh basket

, , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Spring Cleaning with Slide & Stack

1. Michelle Toler May 26, 2009 at 10:37 pm #

You could also use these in the kids room for socks, small toys especially all those hot wheels. These are a great addition to any household and anything that helps me get and stay organized is top notch.

2. Maria May 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm #

I love the Slide & Stack product. I use them for my kids crafts to help keep things organized.

3. chrystal May 11, 2009 at 1:08 pm #

What a great use of these in the freezer. Sometimes I’ve used the smaller ziploc tubs for smaller bags of food, but they aren’t quite big enough for most things. This would work great! Thanks for the idea =)

4. Ann May 5, 2009 at 10:23 am #

Thank you for the idea about the freezer! I have frozen meat falling out of my freezer ALL the time.

5. Lauren Spahr April 27, 2009 at 1:09 pm #

Kami – congratulations!! Alissa picked your entry because of the versatilty of projects you could use Slide & Stack to help with. Please email me at lauren.spahr@rubbermaid.com with your address and we’ll get these out to you!!!

6. Catalina April 27, 2009 at 11:47 am #

I can use these EVERYWHERE!
    Under my kitchen sink – that little corner needs some help….the pantry – there’s always random food products and ingredients that need a self contained space….in our bathroom – you KNOW us ladies have a TON of nick knacks and cosmetics that can ALWAYS use Slide & Stacks to store our stuff.
    As I said, Slide & Stacks are so versatile, I really could use about a dozen or so and organize little corners here and there in our entire home.
    Thanks!

7. mindy holt April 27, 2009 at 11:44 am #

I would use these to organize my kid stuff currently taking up every surface of the house.. no she’s not a baby but she is a 6 year old aspiring Artist, songwriter, journeler, club maker, crafty, hair band wearer, camp rock stuff everywhere kind.
    I have been looking at stack trays or the rollie carts to keep her stuff organized so mom doesn’t have the flip outs where I just throw all the little things away lol!

8. Kim April 27, 2009 at 11:32 am #

Where can I use these? All of the above. You suggested great ideas. I think it would be most helpful in the kitchen cupboard to help gather up random teabags and cocoa mixes. I could also use them in the linen closet to help organize small items.
    Thanks. Here via Twitter, BTW.

9. Troy Kirschner April 27, 2009 at 8:00 am #

Slide & Stack are a great item to help get my clients Organized. I can lay out 10 -12 or them and begin to sort like items together to really get control of all the things we find in a persons home. CD’s, DVD’s, books, batteries, socks, underware, toys, jewelry, spices and many other kitchen items; the list is endless and every room is included. Great for storing items from the garage and tucked in on metro shelves, excellent.

10. Jennifer S. April 26, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

I could really use these in a couple areas on my house, but right now I think my utility room is the worst. That’s where I have all of my cleaning supplies, many of which I have stockpiled.
    The only shelf (and the only place to put a shelf!) is above my head. If I had baskets I could divide them into categories and pull down a basket to find what I needed.

11. Joy April 26, 2009 at 1:57 pm #

I could use these all over! We’re in our first home together, a parsonage, with very little storage. There is no pantry (eek!) and no linen closet, although there are three good-sized closets. One is used for clothing, one is our linen/coat/cleaning supplies/craft supplies/office supplies/dog supplies closet, and one is camping/luggage/medical supplies/seasonal storage. We are using three of our kitchen cabinets as a pantry, and could really use some organizational help in there!

12. Antonia M. Moreno April 25, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

I think they’re great for storaging everything, don’t matter what or where.
    I have not really thought about what I need it for at home, but i reallly thought about using it some different ways and show them to my readers on my blog. They really like that kind of posts!!!
    Thanks a lot for your great ideas.
    Antonia M. Moreno -Spain

13. I have a beautiful sweet neice that I am lucky enough to have spend time with me. My challange is this – I also do tons of crafts – so much so that I say I have a craft house – not a craft room. Well, that neice is almost 2-1/2 and last time she walked in my front door she exclaimed…”look mommy, me at Daunties CRAP house”…laughter all around…but it does tell me I need to get organized!!!

14. Peony Moss April 24, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

I could use a couple of those to organize the closet where we keep the medicine, so I can more easily monitor the antihistamine supply now that it’s allergy season, and to get the contents of an under-the-sink cupboard under control.
    I just started using S&S a few months ago, in the freezer, trying to keep from being beaned by flying frozen chicken :)

15. Julie Bestry April 24, 2009 at 12:43 pm #

Oh, bravo, Lauren! I love that these have the depth that keeps things stored within from tipping over and out. The Slide & Stack gives you the utility of drawers without the bulk of cabinetry or other drawer-holding devices.
    I most often have my organizing clients use the Slide & Stacks under the kitchen sink for cleaning supplies used right there (dish detergent, dishwater soap (powder or liquid), extra sponges, steel wool, rubber gloves). Similarly, they go well under the bathroom sink for the ScrubbingBubbles, the glass cleaner, more sponges & rubber gloves (!).
    I always tell my clients “Don’t put things down. Put them away!” and that “away” means having a designated home. Well, homes have rooms, and the Slide & Stack units let you easily “remodel” by moving rooms around. So, you can use them for storing batteries and light bulbs in on the shelf in the laundry room, but if you decide you’d rather store these items on the second floor, you can easily reorganize without dropping the bulbs or hugging everything tightly to your chest.
    In the playroom, these work great in cabinets and on open shelving for instructions, dice, spinners and game pieces once the cardboard box has died. Put each game’s items in a zipper-lock bag, label with the game name and “file” them vertically in a Slide & Stack. They’re also great for holding smaller games (Boggle, anyone?) and sets for cards, mah-jong, etc.
    These Slide & Stacks are also superior for open storage of onesies, socks, undies, t-shirts, baby shoes, as well as all sorts of baby diapering and toddler-dressing accoutrements. For families not ready to make the jump into buying bedroom sets for little ones, these work great on open shelving (esp. Rubbermaid shelving) for easy retrieval and storage. Plus, if toddlers get into the mix, sliding a Slide & Stack of socks off a dresser is far less dangerous than pulling a whole drawer out on top of themselves.

16. pqw@gmail.com April 24, 2009 at 11:57 am #

would say the most unusual use would be in the freezer. To save money, I buy chicken in bulk and put them in individual freezer baggies so I can save them for later use.

17. Joanna April 24, 2009 at 11:49 am #

I have poorly designed closets that are both shallow and wide, but the doors are certainly NOT wide. I spend most of much of my item retrieval time contorting to fit into the inaccessible reaches of the closets of my home. I think the slide and stack bins would be helpful because with less reaching (more sliding!), I might be able to make better use of the horrible space.

18. Kami W Huyse April 24, 2009 at 11:41 am #

Great ideas. I would love to have a few of these to organize my freezer. I am back to work with a baby in daycare and I pump milk for him, the little jars now live in my ice tray since they tumble everywhere. Also, I need to reorganize my closet and it always seems there are little like items (such as my clutch purses) that are floating around. I could also use one for receipts that I accumulate throughout the month for my home-based business. This would keep them out of my in-box. I could then code them at the end of the month all at once and file them. Shall I go on? I could think of a thousand ways to use these cool boxes, plus, I am the Queen of Stacking, so this product seems to be “up my alley.”

19. Colleen Swanger April 24, 2009 at 11:31 am #

With a full-time job and two elementary school kids, tools like these would keep my pantry from being a danger zone! Who wants pasta with a bit of purple crayon? Does that apple taste like glue??! And wait a minute, did you say organize your freezer? You mean you don’t have to dig through bags and bags of frozen chicken, tuna and icecream sandwiches from Costco?

20. Sarah (Real Life) April 24, 2009 at 11:08 am #

So many uses, so little time! Underneath my bathroom sink is a Disaster Area! I really need to compartmentalize and use the same type of container for all my stuff. Now, it’s a cacophony of different size baskets- it does not work!
    I would also put the kids’ little outside toys in there, like bubbles, sidewalk chalk, etc, so they could take the whole thing outside, and put the whole thing away when they’re done.
    Another one: The back seat of the car- for all the little happy meal toys, pens and such they use back there.
    HELP! I’m a mess!

21. I am in the midst of a big kitchen reno and am determined that, once items are returned to the new cabinets, that they will stay organized. Sure could use a few slide & stack…
    KJB
    Toronto, Ontario

22. Crystal Williams April 24, 2009 at 10:34 am #

I could use these all over my house! I would love one for my laundry room so I could organize my husband and I’s hunting attire, calls, shells etc. Plus, I could put them on the top shelf and hide my 5 year old son’s duck/goose calls :)