I was talking to my cubical mate at work the other day and she said something that inspired me. “Junk drawers are a great place to start organizing. You can finish it quickly and feel satisfied.” Brilliant!
I was inspired to go organize my junk drawers until…drum roll…I realized I did not have any. As a recent college graduate who has been living in an apartment with five other people, drawer space is at a premium. There were no extras to throw junk in. Therefore, I have accumulated junk bins/bags. Cheap, somewhat stylish, randomly pieced together bins and bags to hold things I either did not need all the time or had no idea what to do with.
Moving recently and getting my first “grown-up” apartment that is ALL MINE (WOOHOO!!!!). I have decided to start off with organizing my things. The problem is I have no idea how to go about this. This is compounded by some restrictions/wants that I have about organizing my “junk drawers.” These restrictions/wants are as follows:
• Drawer space is still at a premium in my little 700 sq. foot apartment
• I will be moving in 12 weeks. Whatever I organize needs to be transportable.
• Most of these things need to be easily accessible and easy to find
• None of the things in this pile seem to be related
On a positive note, I do have a HUGE closet that is relatively empty. I am trying to stop myself from just throwing everything in there and closing the door
Okay so what is in the pile:
• Office supplies: pens, pencils, highlighters, staples, glue, scissors (I think), paper clips, graph paper, etc.
• CDs – program cds, picture cds
• Pictures and cards (only ones important to me…I threw out the rest before I moved)
• Cords – charging cords, connect to the computer cords (I have a lot of little electronics)
• Important documents (thus the huge black safety box my mom insisted I buy and I was mad because it cost like $70…hello, poor college student who can eat off of that for like 3 weeks)
• Other really random things
So please, please, please tell me how to get started or send some suggestions!!