Organizing your Dishwasher – Time Saving Tip

For the past week I have been trying this tip I found at 5 Dollar Dinners – and it REALLY WORKS! It works for me because it is simple and quick. When loading your dishwasher, put all like silverware in the same compartment. Knives go in one compartment, forks in another, and so on. It does not take any time to do and when you go to unload the dishwasher…it takes like 1/2 the time!!! I was surprised I had not thought of this before because it makes sense and is so easy!

So there is your time saving tip for the day :)

, , ,

6 Responses to Organizing your Dishwasher – Time Saving Tip

1. Mel February 23, 2010 at 11:56 am #

Well, that’s a good observation. I was thinking about it and I am always in a hurry (not a big fan of emptying the dishwasher) and pull out a bunch of dishes at a time. I’m thinking one simple idea is to go slower. Thanks.

2. Erin Gentry February 23, 2010 at 10:56 am #

I know that I chipped dishes once when I was pulling out more than one at a time. The dishes banging together is what caused it. Other than that, I have no idea!

3. Mel February 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

My husband is constantly complaining that I chip dishes when unloading the dishwasher and I have to admit…he’s right. I am not sure what I am doing wrong…I don’t intentionally do it. Any great tips for unloading the dishwasher without chipping plates, cups, etc.

4. Julie Bestry June 25, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

I’m so glad you posted this, but I had to laugh at myself, because until I read this, it never occurred to me that *everyone* didn’t always load all knives together, all spoons together, and so on. In fact, it was only very recently in my life that I realized that everyone didn’t order their dishwasher silverware loading spoon-fork-knife, from dullest to sharpest, inward from the door, to prevent accidental injury when opening the dishwasher door.
    It’s so funny when we goofily assume that the system we learned as children, especially if everyone we know uses the same, is what everyone else uses, too. No wonder blended households have strife!
    I’ve been a professional organizer a long time, but the idea that people mix all the silverware together never even occurred to me. I was aware that some people load spoons and forks bowl/tine upward, to lessen the chance of “spooning” (or “forking”?) and improving the chance of the silverware getting completely cleaned, but I’m more concerned with germs (even with clean “unloading hands”) touching any part of the silverware but the handles.
    Thanks for giving me the chance to really laugh at myself!

5. Erin Gentry June 25, 2009 at 1:39 pm #

Lauren,
    Thanks for letting me know the utensils did not get ‘spooned.’ A friend asked me that and I did have a problem with it but I do not put all my utensils in the same way (I should because it would save more time but that’s too much for me).
    Thanks!
    Erin

6. Lauren Halagarda June 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm #

What is it about emptying the dishwasher? Both my husband and I dislike that chore.
    I was initially hesitant to do this b/c I was afraid that the utensils would get ‘spooned’ and not get cleaned…hasn’t been an issue so far.
    As long as you can get family members to cooperate- it’s great! :)