Sock Drawer Organization

Every Monday through Friday I continue to have the same problem. I have a hard time finding socks. I'll admit a few of the issues.

1. I never match up socks when I put them away after washing
  2. I have too many socks. Even socks that I don't have matches for
  3. I don't have enough light in the morning to see really well.

So, the question is…. how do I get my socks organized? I'm looking to you for suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

, ,

8 Responses to Sock Drawer Organization

1. Liz Jenkins July 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

You could also get a drawer organizer for socks – once they are sorted and matched, each goes in it’s own little cubbie in the drawer. This is the kind that pops out into little diamond shapes and sits in the drawer.
    If you do pare down to a few types of socks (which is a great idea) you can use drawer dividers and divide the drawer into those three sections – one for each kind. You can also use bins for socks – one for each kind – and set them on a shelf in the closet. This is what we do in our house – my husband has black socks, brown socks and white athletic. So each has a bin. Makes it easy.

2. Mandi @ Organizing Your Way July 2, 2009 at 8:59 pm #

Try sticking with just one type/color of socks, maybe two, and then you don’t have to worry about matching them up. You can just toss them in your drawer, grab two when you’re ready and go!

3. Julie Bestry July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

I get here late and all the good advice is already accounted for! Yes, pull out all of your socks, match them up (for once) and jettison anything that doesn’t have a mate. If you’re super-afraid the mate is static-clinging to some other laundry item, you can put it in your rag bag. Socks are great for dust clothes.
    Next, with the sock pairs that remain, group them by color and then, as Scott said, roll them. From now on, when you take socks out of the dryer, roll the pairs. If you do laundry including socks at least once a week, you’ll never have to match more than 6 pair, and trust me, you can do that in under 2 minutes.
    Valentina (oh, excuse me, I should say: Patience O.) is right about not using all the extra vertical space in your drawer. Instead, have socks only one layer deep, and group them by color.
    For women, I advise separating out workout socks (put with the workout clothes quick gym bag packing) and hosiery elsewhere. For guys, there’s sometimes less of a distinction between work and play socks, so your path will depend on your collection (but yes, having fewer styles in fewer colors will save you time and money).
    Aim for black socks together, brown together, and so on. If it’s so dark in the drawer (and you don’t want to try Scott’s LED idea), you could intersperse socks so that, left to right, it would be black, white, blue, yellow, brown, etc. so that you’ll know from the placement that oh, it’s dark and over HERE, so it must be black or it’s dark and over THERE so it must be brown.
    I don’t have an opinion on the use of mesh laundry bags, per se, but if you’re doing laundry where you’re mixing yours with your kids, having a few mesh bags in different colors (or even just tying a little ribbon on the zipper) will make sure you don’t end up with someone’s tiny socks barely getting pulled up to your ankles.

4. Patience Oaktree July 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm #

Once your socks are culled and sorted, place the pairs in the drawer side by side instead of on top of each other. That way, you can see the entire selection at once and remove whatever pair you want without turning the remaining ones into a jumble.

5. Jim Deitzel July 2, 2009 at 9:27 am #

I like the simplicity of only having a few styles of socks. I could toss all my old socks and get new ones. I’m a big Gold Toe fan.

6. Jim Deitzel July 2, 2009 at 9:26 am #

I really like the mesh bag idea. I could keep it right next to the laundry basket. A problem I have is socks often get put in different loads of laundry thus causing part of the matching issue.
    However the Ikea study is very interesting.

7. Janine Adams July 2, 2009 at 8:45 am #

I’d suggest getting rid of the socks you don’t have matches for, to start. The maybe get rid of the pairs you don’t wear.
    Once you’ve pared down your collection, match up what’s left. I just fold them in pairs (put a pair together, fold it in half), then rest them in the sock drawer in rows.
    Maybe you can create a routine of matching socks when you put them away? This is simplified in our house by having just a few types of socks. If you do laundry often-ish, you shouldn’t have too many pairs to match.
    Hope that’s helpful!
    Janine

8. Scott Roewer July 2, 2009 at 8:43 am #

Ikea once did a study about sock drawers. They said, those with organized sock drawers have sex less frequently then those with organized sock drawers. Maybe you should leave it as is?
    Otherwise – spend the time to purge the socks with missing mates. Get rid of those that don’t belong, holes, or that you simply don’t like.
    Add a battery operated light to the inside of your drawer. I suggest the small LED type. They’re bright, cheap and run on two AAA Batteries.
    I don’t fold my socks together, but I do match them and roll them together. I think folding them inside each other stretches the socks and they don’t last as long. Matching socks is easier to do if you turn your socks right side out before you wash them. There are also sock clips or sock locks you can find in the laundry department of many stores, which would keep the socks together by pair.
    Another great trick to to put socks in a mesh laundry bag. Toss the entire bag in the washer. They still get clean, but the socks are all together when you take it out of the dryer. This helps the sorting process go faster.
    Hopefully you can adopt the tips that sound like they’ll work for you, otherwise – go with the Ikea study and live happily ever after! :)