Media Storage Problems

I am a person who has lived through the media transition from cassette tapes to cd's. I have not grown up in the world of digital music (where you download everything and never have a need to puchase a cd). Because cd's were the main music vehicle for the better part of my life, I have accumulated a ridiculous amount of them. I have stacks and stacks of cd's, and they have also gotten intermingled with dvd's as well. Some of them have the cases, but most of them do not. (I did realize that the cd cases were taking up way too much room!)

IMG_1212

IMG_1214

I have one large binder with hundreds of cd's in it. (308 cd's to be exact.) This binder holds cd's that range from those that I got in high school, college and my own personal mixes I have made over the years. For some reason I really don't want to get rid of any of them…

IMG_1218

As much as I would like to think I would take the time to download all of my cd's to my computer (and therefore be able to throw away all of the cd's), I will admit that is not a probable solution. I'm looking for some logical solutions for cd storage. The best thing I can think of so far is to get more binders and keep them in "volumes" of some kind – by decade, genre or some other category. I'm open for other suggestions. Any ideas?

About Megan G

I'm a easy-going, hard-working, sport-loving gal from Michigan who is proud of her midwestern roots. Graphic designer by trade and a sports fanatic by heart. My friends tell me, "Meg, you need to slow down!" but usually I don't listen :) Some of my favorite things include traveling, playing and coaching volleyball, going to sporting events, going to the beach, finding new ways to be creative, seeing new places, and helping people and the environment.

, ,

14 Responses to Media Storage Problems

1. Megan G September 7, 2011 at 8:04 am #

Hi Sam – thanks for the note!

2. sam September 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

nice article

3. Megan G January 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Hi Grace! Thanks for the question. Please use the following link to ask Rubbermaid about your question – that is the best way to find out! Here is the link:

4. Grace Carman January 11, 2010 at 10:53 am #

How do I find out if Rubbermaid still has some older cereal containers?

5. Megan G January 4, 2010 at 11:54 am #

I feel like in talking to more people, I do hear the iPod suggestion all the time. Understandable that there is the chance of something going wrong, but I guess taking the time to back up the files once in a while would solve that problem, right? I actually just got an iPod for Christmas, so I now really have the chance to start the shift over from cd’s to the digital music age! Wish me luck!

6. TA December 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

Ipods dont solve the problem because eventually the Ipod will wear out and stop working and if its not backed up you’ll lose everything. Besides, you cant watch the movies on a large TV because its compressed to much and loses quality.

7. Megan G November 13, 2009 at 5:27 pm #

That is a good suggestion too, Lauren. I have some of them on spindles now, along with dvd’s as well, but spindles do take up less space than the binders. I guess the binders are just easier to look through. A trade off – binders: bigger but easier to access vs. spindles: less space and harder to look through…..hmmmm! Hopefully one day I will fully trust an iPod I guess!

8. Lauren Spahr November 13, 2009 at 10:46 am #

Megan, if you got an ipod, you could just take a CD spindle (the container that new CDs come in, with the pole in the middle) and put all your CDs in that. They would stay safe and take up less space, , since they wouldn’t need to be accessed frequently. You could then hold onto the spindle a bit longer before you fully trust the ipod.

9. Megan G November 6, 2009 at 9:27 am #

Good point Rach! I really do think about getting an iPod…one of the big ones so I never have to worry about running out of space…EVER. My only hesitation is when I think, “if I get an iPod, will I really get rid of all my cd’s? What if my iPod crashes and I lose all of my music forever?” (I know I would/could back it up on my computer, but for some reason the pack-rat side of me still thinks that way.) I mentioned to my husband that I might want an iPod for my birthday or Christmas…so we’ll see if I end up with one…but then I will have to wrestle with getting rid of the cd’s or not…..GULP.

10. Rach November 6, 2009 at 9:16 am #

Getting an iPod has really been my saving grace when it comes to downsizing the amount of media laying around. Of course, it’s a transition to realize every single one of your favorite tunes is in the little device sitting in the palm of your hand, but once you start slowly converting all of your cds to digital, you notice the cd binder starts collecting dust. And you never have to flip binder page after binder page looking for that one cd you are just dying to listen to again!

11. Megan G November 6, 2009 at 9:05 am #

I realized after I took the photos that I should have paid more attention to the ones that were showing. Ha!

12. Joy November 6, 2009 at 9:03 am #

Now 14 Megan! Really!??!

13. Megan G November 6, 2009 at 8:32 am #

Jackie, I’m glad to hear you agree with the binders! (It’s encouraging!) That is the only thing I can really think of so far. At least they will be organized and easy to look through when I want to find something. Now I will just start looking for a sale on binders….
    Thanks Jackie!

14. Jackie November 5, 2009 at 1:23 pm #

stick with the binders. This seems to be the best way to organize cd’s / dvd’s for those of us who aren’t digital yet. (maybe someday, lol) It really does take up a lot less space and if you group them by themes of some kind in each binder, it’s easy to find what you are looking for. BUT – don’t get too stuck in how they are organized inside the binder. You’ll go crazy trying to keep them alphabetical or by artist since anytime you add a new one, you’d have to rearrange the whole book. Just have a loose filing system in there (first 1/2 this type, second 1/2 another) and label the outside if you have lots of binders so you can grab the right one easily. (something I need to do!