Sam’s Favorite Organization Tip

With all this recent influx of organization knowledge and expertise-exposure, I know you're wondering to yourself just WHAT ARE my favorite organization tips. (surely you are, right?) So I thought I'd share a couple of them that have already had an immediate impact on my life:

Move stuff that is task-specific closer to the action.

Jon and I have two adorable dogs. Whenever we feed them, its always a pain because we store the huge container of dog food in the kitchen pantry, yet we feed them in the living room. Every pet meal time, its a "who's turn is it this time?" to feed the dogs. After hearing that particular tip, I got a Rubbermaid commercial food storage bin and commandeered it for dog food. It its neatly into a storage area near the where we feed the dogs.

DogFoodBin

Simple enough idea, move the food where the bowls are, yet, it has REALLY made a difference. Small organization changes that take into account HOW you live your life are the way to go. It made a chore into something easy and (almost) fun.

14 Responses to Sam’s Favorite Organization Tip

1. Sam Aron February 5, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Kirstin submitted a comment on Sams Favorite Organization Tip
    Woot woot! Kristin, I LOVE to hear those type of stories! Our food storage containers ARE the bomb… Organization built right in! I love things that simplify your life and give you more room. May your cabinet always be perfectly organized. What a great gift :)

2. Kirstin February 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

Sam, Kudos to Rubbermaid. I recently was given a whole set of the click and stack containers. My plastic container cabinet has always been a mess. Having just moved 3 months ago, you would think I still would have had some semblance of organization, but with all the different sizes and lids everywhere it just seemed impossible. When I got my new storage containers I had no place to put them. It prompted me to reorganize! I cleared out the cabinet, threw out things that did not have a match or were just in rough shape (roughly 75% of what I had as were). This left plenty of space for the new containers. With the tops clicking nicely to the bottms and being able to stack them all my cabinet has stayed perfectly organized over the past month. I finally feel like I can keep it that way too.
    Getting new storage solutions is not only fun, but it is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of ridding you of the ‘exploding cabinet’ as I call it.

3. Sam Aron February 4, 2010 at 10:13 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Catalina submitted a comment on Sams Favorite Organization Tip
    I like that.. A Duh moment! :) Thats exactly what its like though : its seems so obvious after you do move/organize it a certain way. If it helps your day-to-day life, and keeps you sane and organized, its the business! Btw, love your simple Ikea hook solution too. Cheap and functional! We keep ours in a specific drawer so we always know where they are.

4. Catalina February 4, 2010 at 10:00 am #

i think this is such a simple but incredibly powerful and time-saving tip! i think it’s like having all your kitchen cleaning supplies under the sink.
    for us, although super simple, it was a DUH moment – right when we moved to NYC, we kept mis-placing our house keys….so thanks to some $1.25 hooks from Ikea, we have 2 hooks right NEXT to our front door and as soon as we come home, we place the keys there.
    simple as that – now we always now where they are :)

5. Sam Aron February 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] claire_e_hamilton@hotmail.com submitted a comment on Sams Favorite Organization Tip
    A new dog? Thats so exciting! Youll need all sorts of new storage stuff for a pet :) . Good luck and have fun!

6. claire February 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

We will have to get one for our new doggie as soon as we get her!!

7. Sam Aron February 1, 2010 at 11:54 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Emily Banks submitted a comment on Sams Favorite Organization Tip
    Hi Emily, Hooray for cross-idea generation for hip moms (thanks again Alisa)! I hear you on simplification too. Though I dont have any kids yet, I know its always a battle to find the right situation and habits for your specific household. A total shout-out to all the moms on the block… You are all super heroes!

8. Sam Aron February 1, 2010 at 11:50 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] j_yard78@yahoo.com submitted a comment on Sams Favorite Organization Tip
    I wish! This bin that I have pictured is actually part of our commercial products offering (sold to businesses, i.e. restaurant kitchens). They definitely have a very utilitarian look as far as the all-white color. (Youre right, Id prefer something a little more room-friendly :) .
    Im not sure what youre organizing, but we have some pretty cool looking clear totes ( http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=StorageSubcatId=SpecialityStorageProd_ID=RP091425 ) that Ive seen people use around the house, stacked. AND the fact that you can see through them is great for being able to find what you want when you want it (I have all my scarves and winter hats in them).

9. Emily Banks February 1, 2010 at 11:48 am #

Sam . . . What a great Idea! As I sit here and look at my 25 pound bag of Meow Mix my wheels are certainly turning! I can hide that bright yellow eye sore! Keep the Ideas coming anything to simplify is a necessity when you go from 0 to 3 kids in 11 months! OH . . . I am so doing the toothbrush thing Alisa!

10. j_yard78@yahoo.com February 1, 2010 at 11:02 am #

Great idea!!
    Do these storage bins come in different colors? I would love to be able to camouflage these bins in the different rooms that I don’t have cabinet storage in.

11. Sam Aron January 29, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Chris Albrecht submitted a comment on Sams Favorite Organization Tip
    Thanks Chris! I will keep em coming :)

12. Chris Albrecht January 29, 2010 at 10:34 am #

I agree totally. Life should be about what works for you not about what the past rules of organization were. Sam, I love the idea about moving things where the action is – especially if the containers are neat looking such as the Rubbermaid ones shown in your photos above! Thanks for your posts – keep em’ coming!

13. Sam Aron January 26, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Alisa, That’s hilarious AND super smart! Who says toothbrushes have to stay in the bathroom? I say put things where you use them, instead of where they “should go.” Let custom organization rule!

14. Alisa Chessani December 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

This is so true. Keeping what you need where you need it does save time. I think after the fourth kid we moved all the toothbrushes to the kitchen, because that is where the parents were (the motivation behind the toothbrushing). :-)