Quick Tip for Freezer Organization

We were having issues finding things, especially meat, in our freezer.  We did one quick and easy thing and it has helped us easily access our frozen meats.  We placed this large Rubbermaid container in the freezer and all of our meat is placed in here.

Freezer1

It has really helped us quickly find and grab small items from the freezer.  It’s also helped us at grocery shopping time – we glance in there and know how much ground meat or chicken we need to pick up.

Freezer2

Do you have any other quick tips for organizing the freezer?

Here are a few tips I found from a professional organizer:

Here is a great site from the USDA on how to safely freeze different foods:

, , ,

6 Responses to Quick Tip for Freezer Organization

1. Cleaver May 28, 2012 at 9:36 am #

That would work for freezer storage for one person. You couldn’t begin to store meat like that for a family.

2. Lee July 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

It looks like 2/3 of that shelf is being wasted with empty space. I suppose that’s fine if your freezer isn’t jam packed full like mine. A different shaped container, something with vertical walls, for your meat would give you a lot more space on that shelf.

3. Carol Foster Allen March 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

I purchased some orginaizers from Sams Club and the lids were lost I would like to replace the lids only Is that possible The container is rubbermaid 6509

4. Claudia Ford August 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

Recently I purchased a 50 piece Easy Find Lid set. I have been a Rubbermaid user & lover for years but must admit I am dissatisfied in 2 respects. First, although the product is advertised as microwave safe, when I placed one of my large containers in the microwave to heat up food, it became scarred in several places. Not with any colr from the food, but instead the plastic sides & bottom became blemished and peeled.
    Second, when a medium side dish with lid fell out of the refrigerator the ridge on the top of the container broke; a big chunk broke right off (although the lid never came off nor did the contents spill)
    Both of these incidents occurred just 2 weeks after I got the set. Makes me wish I had not purchased the larger quantity set & instead just tried one or two pieces first. But I was relying upon the Rubbermaid reputation.
    Did I just get a lemon??

5. Shannon February 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

I actually haven’t had any trouble with the container that I’ve been using. However, if you are worried about potential breakage, I would suggest using our Premier line of food storage containers.

6. Annette W February 11, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

I love this idea, but in the past some of my small Rubbermaid containers that I put in the freezer broke upon tumbling out of the freezer. I’d be a bit scared of that happening with a BIG one. Any thoughts?