Sara’s Little Girl’s Closet Makeover

Today's post comes from Sara, who works for our PR agency, Fleishman Hillard, in Atlanta.   She is a great friend of Rubbermaid and volunteered to write a guest post for us about her makeover for her daughter's room.  Thanks, Sara!

—–

In preparation for a new baby, I needed to move my daughter into the guest room and reorganize the closet to make it more kid friendly, allowing her to access her clothes and shoes. I used the Rubbermaid Homefree Closet line which provides the opportunity to adjust the shelving heights as your child grows – so the closet grows with your child.
There were a ton of new clothes and boxes of my old toys already in the closet, so the job started by removing everything from the closet and then removing the old closet system. On the right side of the old closet, the upper clothing rack was very high, and being 5-feet 2-inches tall, it was very difficult for me to access anything on that rack, not to mention there was only a small area for long hanging clothes. However, since my daughter will not have very long dresses for several more years, there was a lot of wasted space in that area.

Sara1

The Rubbermaid Homefree Closet system came with everything I needed except the drill and screwdriver, and the instructions were very clear. I picked a design which was somewhat a hybrid between a 5-foot and 6-foot closet example, because my closet is 5 ½-feet long. I was excited about all the shelving options, so we could make the most of the closet space.
Sara2

Since I was nine months pregnant, my older brother volunteered to help and it only took a few hours to complete the entire closet. I was very happy with how the closet improved the space utilization of the closet. Instead of wasted space where the long hanging space used to be, there are now shelves which are currently used for my daughter’s shoes and books. The hanging space goes all the way across the closet and on most of the lower half of the closet. I love this feature because I can put all the clothes for the season on the lower half for my daughter to access, and I can shop sales and put clothes she will grow into on the upper half of the closet. I also unpacked my old toys and put them at the top of the closet for fun – eventually she can play with them too.
Sara3

My daughter loves that she can easily access her shoes (she’s already really into shoes). And, I like the Rubbermaid Homefree Closet system so much, I am planning to redo my closet and my new baby’s closet as well. We are going to be Rubbermaid Homefree all the way!

, , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Sara’s Little Girl’s Closet Makeover

1. Court April 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Wow what a transformation! I love the fact that a simple Rubbermaid system can give such a small closet that much more usable space! Good job Sara!

2. Huntsville maids February 3, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Wow what a transformation! The new closet is better and looks better.

3. Heather December 28, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

Lowe’s has the 3-6′ one on sale for $79 right now.

4. Lauren Spahr November 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Tanya,
    The beauty of the Homefree ssytem is that it can expand and contract to fit most any sized closet. You just buy the kit that fits your dimensions and it can be customized for you.
    At Lowe’s, the 3-6″ is $93, the 4-8″ is $114 and the 6-10 is $176.
    Good luck & happy organizing!
    Lauren

5. Tanya November 20, 2010 at 10:05 am #

What are the dimensions of the closet/system and how much did it all cost? I LOVE it!

6. Erin Gentry November 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for noticing. Sorting your belongings and letting go of items you no longer need is an important step of every organizing project. Having too much stuff is half the battle of organization. In fact, most of the stuff in this closet did go back in (minus the comforter and pillows at the bottom but there is still room for them there). Organizing the closet just gave Sara the excuse to go through boxes and decide what she wanted out and what she wanted to keep.
    Thanks,
    Erin

7. symone mesquita November 4, 2010 at 9:07 am #

Hi, I really love the sollution’s idea you have….
    I’d like to have something similar in Brazil….

8. dave November 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm #

of course it looks great… less than half of the stuff went back into the closet

9. Affordable Lawn Care June 15, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Great closet makeover. I was surprised to see what a difference the new system made for the overall closet space. Looks like it was definitely worth the work– and that you’ve got a nice brother to help you out. Hope you and your baby are doing well!

10. Primary Work at Home January 31, 2010 at 5:32 am #

Great makeover! I like it. So neat.

11. Drew Ruth January 30, 2010 at 12:42 am #

As Sara’s older brother, The one who helped her put in the new closet. I can say honestly that this is a great and easy system to put up! I look forward to see more of this system or closet management.

12. Alma Sutton January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

I really liked the closet make over. What a smart idea.