Build Your Own Organization

DSC_0456.JPG
Has anyone ever seen the site Ikea Hacker ?

This shoe closet is PRETTY sweet. We've been talking about doing a shoe closet forever now (my lovely husband's idea), so imagine my shock and jealousy that not only has someone else THOUGHT about it.. but they've done it! I'm totally going to snag some of his ideas: lighting, belt rack, and bag rack. Thanks for the inspiration, Phillip!

One of my co-workers, Jamie, is a big fan of this blog. After getting inspired (not by the shoe closet) from the whole idea of customizing your organization solution, he took some Rubbermaid shelves bolted them together to make a work table, with storage underneath. (Kinda like a dude's version of a craft table).

DIY-Org-ScreenPrintTable

He's a crazy-creative type that in his spare time does original screenprints. Notice all the screenprinting paraphernalia around his custom creation. Check out the his work (that was made on this Rubbermaid DIY table) here, at Human Shaped Robot.

Pretty crafty!
If you are handy, consider DIY-ing a custom organization solution for yourself. Sometimes the best organizational solutions are something you create yourself.Has anyone else not been able to find or afford a solution, and has built one themselves?

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to Build Your Own Organization

1. Sam Aron February 25, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

I know, right? I think I might try to build my own.. Not like this one but with FastTrack and wooden shelves..

2. Sam Aron February 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

I love the quote on the second link you sent, KT! Here are just some of the things you can organize with ReadyMades projects for less-cluttered living: your recycling, your wine collection, your magazines, your media, your medicine cabinet, your mind. Love the idea of less-cluttered living as a whole. This site was great, thanks for sharing!

3. KT February 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

Cool stuff. Ready Made Magazine sometimes has ikea hacker type projects too…I might even venture to say that they were the original Ikea Hackers, but I’m too lazy to do the research to actually back up that claim. In any event, most of RM’s Ikea-related projects are more decor focused than organization, but they do have a lovely portion of their site dedicated to clutter-reducing projects.
    Ready Made Ikea:
    Ready Made organization:

4. Sam Aron February 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

That sounds awesome! Hmmm… That would work great as a room divider too! If anyone has an office/guest room or multi use room, dividing areas off for different functions certainly help keeping things organized (and with cool fabric, very fashionable!).

5. Ashley February 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

In our last house, we made window treatments hung with steel cables and tension bolts. They went from wall to wall and we fashioned the curtains into rectangular, floor length panels with 1×2″ (i think) pieces of wood inside the fabric at the top and the bottom to hold them flat.
    The fabric-covered wood at the top had ‘U’ bolts that went over the steel cable to slide easily to the left and right. The three, floor length panels (two red and one black/white patterned) were perfect for the wall of windows.
    Hooray for DIY!

6. Sam Aron February 25, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Alisa submitted a comment on Build Your Own Organization
    Alisa, that Family Closet idea seems pretty snazzy! I agree, pre-made organization solutions are WAAAAY more attractive than the DIY ones (especially if you have a large family :). But whatever you use, as long as it works for you and saves you time, its a success!

7. Sam Aron February 25, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Amy submitted a comment on Build Your Own Organization
    Amy, DEF means you need to go shopping! Love the sound of your Crafting Table/Storage Solution. Seems similar to something Ive seen (thats pretty pricey) at Crate and Barrel maybe? How very, very crafty of you!

8. Sam Aron February 25, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Jocelyn submitted a comment on Build Your Own Organization
    Not exactly :) There ARE some cool products we make:
    Shoe shelves that are tilted to showcase your kicks-
    Cool wooden accessories that work within another reconfigurable closet system:
    Depending on your sheer amount of shoes though, you might want to just use our standard wooden shelves and DIY something that fits your needs specifically. Thats what I might do… Stay tuned!

9. Alisa February 25, 2010 at 10:50 am #

I don’t have enough shoes for a shoe closet for me, but I’d love to have a family closet for all the matching clothes and shoes someday. Maybe it would also be the location of the washer and dryer and a clothes folding table. Then we could add a couple dressing rooms….one for boys and one for girls. :-) As a military family, we have had to come up with a lot of build it yourself organization because our spaces for organizing change. One house may have lots of closets and another may have none. But I have to admit that building your own organization is not always as attractive as something from Rubbermaid! :-)

10. Amy February 25, 2010 at 9:35 am #

I did a DIY scrapbooking table by assembling a sheet of plywood on top of two cube bookshelves facing outwards. I can store all of my various papers and supplies organized, even using a few canvas cubes to store smaller items as a group. I don’t have enough shoes to justify a whole closet though. Hmmm – maybe that means I need to go shopping?

11. Jocelyn February 25, 2010 at 9:21 am #

Oh, I’m a little bit in love with this picture (who am I kidding – I LOVE this picture. Hello new desktop background! Does Rubbermaid have a storage line that could replicate this look?

12. Lauren Spahr February 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

Wow!! Love the shoe closet. Someday, maybe :)