Belt it OUT!

DSC02475

This year CAN be your year of organization! Start small, I say.

Faced with craziness every time I opened this particular drawer, I decided to clean it out!  Now, I know, I know … I have enough belts to dedicate a drawer to it, you say. But don't judge! I love clothes (which also certainly encompasses accessories).

Step 1: Sort!

DSC02473

I ended up with 4 belts for the Goodwill pile (for some thrifty fashionista to find!), rediscovering some old favorites (that I had COMPLETELY forgotten they were there) and a VERY organized belt drawer!

Step 2: Roll and Arrange

DSC02474

I really didn't know what was what in my drawer, but now, I can easily access my plethora of belts. It has allowed me to plan my outfits easier and it SERIOUSLY gives me a little jolt of happiness every time I open this drawer and see the beauty of ORDER.

So choose a drawer or cabinet and clean it out!

, , , ,

22 Responses to Belt it OUT!

1. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Emily Banks submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Alas, Emily, my hips are not as fashionable as yours are, and I have to rely on belts to fancy them up! :) Good luck with your familys drawer clean out, theyll enjoy the benefits (without the work… You rock!).

2. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] amy submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Youre right, Amy, it depends on the woman! Hopefully your husband can use this trick or maybe you can adopt it for something you do have a lot of, like socks!

3. Emily Banks February 11, 2010 at 11:51 am #

GREAT IDEA!! I think I will hook the girls right up and my Hubby Too! My Hips are my belt! lol

4. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Lorelei May submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Lorelei, youre right, I DID know that not everyone could relate to WHAT I was organizing, just the idea of taking control of something small, like a drawer. It could be anything.. .maybe a junk drawer, a desk drawer, a coupon drawer? :) But I love that feeling too.. That sense of accomplishment you have after youve rearranged something like that.

5. amy February 11, 2010 at 11:13 am #

hmmmm. a closet organizer for valentine’s day? maybe not the most romantic gift LOL. at least not for some women. i definitely don’t have enough belts to devote a drawer to that, but my hubby does so maybe i’ll suggest that to him.

6. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 11:06 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Alisa submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Ha! I like your confidence in me, organized belt drawer = ability to organize garage. Buy me a ticket and Ill consider it.. But no promises that it will look as snazzy as my drawer ! Thanks for the props :)

7. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 10:51 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Tim submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Heck yeah! That IS a really cool product. Fits with the Configurations Closet systems (totally maximizes your closet space). I like that your wife might have 30 belts. Shes my kinda lady :) . Maybe you can get her this for Valentines Day? Nothing says love like supporting a womens fashion habit!

8. Tim February 11, 2010 at 10:39 am #

This looks dope if you have the closet space:
    I don’t have 30 belts but I’m sure my wife does…

9. Alisa February 11, 2010 at 10:27 am #

My husband said it looks great and would you please fly out and organize our garage?! :-) You are right about baby steps. If I look at the whole project at once it is overwhelming, but if I try to clean just one area….shelf, drawer, etc…it is motivating. Great job!

10. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 10:25 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Catalina submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Catalina, Ive SEEN that at Ikea! Glad to hear it works so well for you. We might get one too.. I agree, hung in the closet, doesnt seem the best place for you to have easy access to it. I have a ton of vintage scarves that are currently balled up in a large basket. This might be the solutions Ive been looking for. Thanks for sharing!

11. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 10:20 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Ashley submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Hi Ashley, I actually HAVE some sashes/ties in the pic. They are definitely more likely to get messy, but I folded them neatly and wedged them between two sturdier belts, so it still works pretty well. And I DO think you should reward yourself with some new belts…but only IF you organize them first!

12. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Gail submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Socks are a great idea for a project like this! Ive recently read an article about using dividers in drawers for rolly things like socks. Keeping them organized within your drawer (like black socks in one area, athletic socks in another). It will also be a good opportunity to sort your socks. If youre anything like me, you have some socks with holes that need to get a second life as a dusting cloth! Maybe Ill do my sock drawer too…

13. Catalina February 11, 2010 at 10:12 am #

man, if only we HAD drawers up here in NYC!
    organizing in a new home where space is limited, we’ve had to organize in ways not in the original plans ;)
    the only drawers we have are full of clothes (spring cleaning, i hear someone saying?), so we have put our belts and some of my scarves on a nifty Ikea hanger -
    we nailed this flat against the wall behind our bedroom door and it seems to work well – being full frontal has helped access the belts, instead of having this hang sideways inside one of our narrow and teeny closets.
    once again, Ikea saves the day!

14. Ashley February 11, 2010 at 10:04 am #

I hang my belts on a hanger, which isn’t great, but it gets them all together and easily accessible, but if i want the one on the bottom, it can be a pain to take the rest off first. This drawer idea might warrant the purchase of some more belts! What do you do if you have a fabric sash or necktie you use as a belt? They don’t fit the same way.

15. Gail February 11, 2010 at 9:46 am #

Like socks. I have been needing to do something about my sock drawer. That looks like a great idea! Save time in the mornings when I can’t find the pair I want. And that’s an easier place to start than the kitchen cabinets! Cold, cloudy winter days do encourage staying inside. I think we all feel happier to see organization. Now keeping organized, that’s the challenge. But you’re right, start with baby steps.

16. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 9:34 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] angelfood submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Angelfood, sounds like its been a week of cleaning stuff out! Thats amazing that you cleaned out your kitchen cabinets (large undertaking!). Def get some new storage if you need some! Id suggest Easy Find Lids or Premier, they both have built in organization (lids snap together and everything nests really compactly). Thats what I have at home and I love it! So easy to keep them organized (prob easier than the belts :) .

17. Lorelei May February 11, 2010 at 9:23 am #

I get the same feeling when I organize something. I Love your belt drawer idea…I don’t think I have that many belts:) but can use that same concept with something else.

18. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Jocelyn submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Just rolled them up! The belts actually stay pretty flat. Granted, I have to be diligent about rolling them BACK up after wearing one, but it being so neat keeps me on track. :)

19. angelfood February 11, 2010 at 9:11 am #

I cleaned out the kitchen cabinets this week! There is so much more room now. So much room that I might need some more food storage containers!

20. Jocelyn February 11, 2010 at 9:10 am #

Oooh, eye candy to begin the day with. Did you simply roll up your belts or did you use a Rubbermaid product to keep them all from unfurling/falling over when you pick out a belt?

21. Sam Aron February 11, 2010 at 8:37 am #

Re: TypePad: [Rubbermaid - Adventures in Organization] Lauren Spahr submitted a comment on Belt it OUT!
    Thanks Lauren! Now if I can only make the rest of my house look and function like my fancy belt drawer, Ill be in good shape! Baby steps… :)

22. Lauren Spahr February 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

Wow – that looks great! Nice job, Sam!