Wrapping Paper Roundup

When I set out to organize our coat/game closet, it ended up [practically]
forcing me into another organization project. In the coat closet, I found a
couple roles of wrapping paper, leaning in the corner against my poor attempt
at organizing my shoes…

Before_paperincloset

I set them aside as I went through the rest of the stuff in the closet. I
went upstairs to find a few various items in closets up there, and I found more
roles of wrapping paper in two different closets. I also found a Rubbermaid
gift wrap organizer, still in the package (I meant to get it out during the
holidays, but obviously that never happened.). I thought, "Might as
well!" so I grabbed all of my gift bags from another closet, and I was on
my way to a detour: organizing my wrapping and gift supplies.

Previously, my gift bags were housed in bigger bags with handles. I did have quite a lot of gift bags, but they were all
mixed up. I had a variety of wrapping paper: christmas, happy birthday, baby, generic…and I managed to find a handful of bows leftover from the holidays as well.

Before_giftbags

Wrappaper_package

I know our product of the gift wrap organizer is hard to find these days. When looking online for similar products, I found this one from the Container Store and this one on another site, which are both portable with handles. Another blog post I found had some other good ideas and links too. There were various options for bins and boxes that helped organize gift wrapping supplies from Walmart and Target, but they were not as customized.

All of my wrapping paper (probably 8 rolls or so) fit just fine, and all of the compartments worked great. I put markers, tape and scissors in one pocket, scrap pieces of paper in another, bows in another, and all of gift bags fit in the pockets. Everything fit with room to spare! I even folded up my extra tissue paper and gift boxes (not bags, flattened boxes) and put them above the rolls of wrapping paper. After rounding up all of my gift wrap supplies that were strewn all over the house (unbeknown-st to me before starting my coat/game closet org project), I now have them in one, organized place!

After_wrappaperORG

About Megan G

I'm a easy-going, hard-working, sport-loving gal from Michigan who is proud of her midwestern roots. Graphic designer by trade and a sports fanatic by heart. My friends tell me, "Meg, you need to slow down!" but usually I don't listen :) Some of my favorite things include traveling, playing and coaching volleyball, going to sporting events, going to the beach, finding new ways to be creative, seeing new places, and helping people and the environment.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Wrapping Paper Roundup

1. Megan G January 31, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Agreed! You make a very good point – that paper can be used for a variety of things before it makes its way to the recycle bin. Keep up the good work!

2. shredding Houston January 31, 2011 at 4:15 am #

We make use of wrapping paper not just for gifts but also for packaging purposes – the items that we just want stored in our closet for example. The example given above is really helpful and this could rid you of the eyesore that you see in your room. Paper really has a various uses and and we need to be able to maximize its use, so as not to waste money and resources.

3. Megan G December 8, 2010 at 8:16 am #

I love the idea of shredding the excess pieces! What a great way to reuse the small pieces. I will totally be doing that this holiday! Thanks for the comments and the green holiday tip!

4. shredding San Antonio December 8, 2010 at 4:35 am #

It a good thing that there is already a gift wrap organizer made available for us so that we do not have to just put our remaining wrappers in corners or somewhere else. Being organized and economical can help us save time and money. The excess pieces of wrapping paper can also be shredded and be used as filling for your gifts. Gift wraps and paper bags will now have their proper places and they will no longer be considered as eyesore when you see them in your closet.

5. Megan G November 22, 2010 at 8:18 am #

What an interesting idea! I looked at the website, and I have never seen anything like it before. Would absolutely add a custom look to your holiday gifts – or any gifts for that matter. Thanks for sharing!

6. Wrapping November 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Check out our custom wrapping paper at giftskins.com. It would fit in great with this “custom” organizer..lol. Great post!

7. Megan G March 8, 2010 at 8:59 am #

After some checking, I (unfortunately) have confirmed that we discontinued this product. However, I did have some luck on ebay. I found a “Rubbermaid Deluxe Wrapping Paper Organizer” in my search, along with a few options that were 40″ in length, which is the same length as the Rubbermaid one that I used. Maybe ebay or craigslist is your best bet? I hope you find something that is a great solution for you – that is what matters! Happy hunting :)

8. Megan G March 8, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Sorry, I realize that when I refreshed the page the item says not available. I will do some more checking around and see what I can find. Stay tuned Stacie!

9. Megan G March 8, 2010 at 8:27 am #

Very useful indeed. Now it’s so nice to have everything in one spot and easily accessible.
    I actually just found this item on amazon:
    See if you can in on there. I just did a good search for “rubbermaid gift wrap organizer” and this link came up. Good luck. Let me know how it goes!

10. Stacie March 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

I have been trying to buy one of those rubbermaid organizers since December and still can not find them anywhere…The others like it are ok but they are not 40″ long so my longer wrapping paper rolls won’t fit like they would in the rubbermaid one. If you can find where to buy one online, please let me know. Good to know that it turned out to be very useful.

11. Megan G February 18, 2010 at 8:11 am #

When I went through my big bag of “gift bags” I did realize that I had several that were shopping bags – bed, bath and beyond bags for example – the sturdy paper bags with good handles. I took those out and stored them in my pantry with my other reusable/canvas bags.
    In the gift bag section of the organizer, there are three “slots” sort of speak, so they are layered on top of each other. The organizer is deep on both sides, so even though the pouches are bulging out (like the gift bags and the one with the bows, for example), it still closes easily with no strain on the zipper and – honestly – room to spare. I was impressed and a bit surprised myself!
    It sounds like your tote is a good solution for you. As long as it keeps your supplies together and makes gift wrapping easier, that is what matters, right? For me I needed something that would take up less room, and this organizer fits under a bed, which works for me. Thanks for the comment Lawanna!

12. Lawanna February 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

How did you get all your gift bags into the organizer? It doesn’t look like it would have enough room. Did you have to get rid of some first? I have my wrapping things in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote. It’s not ideal, but it does keep it all together.