Organize to Lift Your Spirits Using Feng Shui

When I was looking online for some interesting organizing tips or methods, I came across this article that talks about feng shui. This has a history that dates way back. It translates to organization by focusing on arranging things in your home to foster positive energy and eliminating things that put out negative energy. To me, it is a way to harmonize your space and your life. I love that word…harmony.

Pure-positive-energyThe article sited four types of clutter that affect the energy in your space:
(1) Things you do not use or love
(2) Untidy or disorganized items
(3) Too many items in a small space
(4) Any unfinished project.

No. 4 hit home with me. The article says: "The last category…is the hardest to see, therefore, the easiest category to ignore…These items are a constant drain on your psyche, always lurking in the back of your mind. Your conscious mind will suppress them for you but uses a lot of energy to do so…"

Anytime I'm at home I am surrounded by our unfinished walls. I believe this "unfinished-ness" reflects my nervousness about doing home projects all together – I'm always nervous that I'm going to mess something up or really ruin a part of our house.

It all started when we scraped the popcorn off of our ceiling (which we did last summer). We want to put up crown molding in our living room. We can't do that until we paint the walls, we can't paint the walls until we lower the height of the bar in the kitchen, and we can't do that project until we get new counter tops, and we can't get new counter tops until we save the money to buy them. (Do you seem my major home project snowball forming?) I'm excited to get started and work through all of these unfinished things that surround me at home….and gain back the energy that I'm using now trying NOT to think about it.

For some, feng shui might seem a little "out there," but I think it is very interesting…but I am also someone who thinks about what kind of energy I put out into the world (and do my best to make it positive!). Feng shui here I come.

About Megan G

I'm a easy-going, hard-working, sport-loving gal from Michigan who is proud of her midwestern roots. Graphic designer by trade and a sports fanatic by heart. My friends tell me, "Meg, you need to slow down!" but usually I don't listen :) Some of my favorite things include traveling, playing and coaching volleyball, going to sporting events, going to the beach, finding new ways to be creative, seeing new places, and helping people and the environment.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Organize to Lift Your Spirits Using Feng Shui

1. Megan G September 8, 2010 at 8:54 am #

So true Kathi! I find that in my own home, I can feel a difference when I gain or lose space – and how I feel about whatever has been added or moved/lost. I like how you put it – to make careful choices about what enters your home, your schedule and your mind. Great words to keep in mind at all times!

2. Kathi Burns CPO® September 6, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

It is so important to realize that every space, or lack of space in your life, physical or mental, has a huge impact on your pysche.
    Once you realize what happens when you gain or lose space, you learn to guard and protect your space with your full intention. You begin to make premeditated and careful choices about everything that enters your home, your schedule and your mind.

3. Megan G July 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks for the comment! #4 has gotten much better for me because we finally painted the walls downstairs and will hopefully be working on crown molding soon. Just making some progress really makes me feel better – like I’m getting closer to the end state.

4. feng shui history July 21, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

Nice post. I enjoyed reading it. I totally agree with this four types of clutter that affect the energy in your space:
    (1) Things you do not use or love
    (2) Untidy or disorganized items
    (3) Too many items in a small space
    (4) Any unfinished project.

5. Megan G June 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Absolutely! It makes me feel better for sure – it gives me a sense of accomplishment and also peace of mind. Even if there are still other projects to be done, just getting one checked off the list makes a difference. For example, my husband and I just reorganized both of our pantries last weekend, and I am already seeing how much more efficiently the space is being used. Checked off the list and feeling good!

6. feng shui bagua June 13, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

absolutely, whenever you clean your space and organize everything around you…it makes you feel better and that´s not a secret, everyone has felt it at some point.

7. Megan G March 26, 2010 at 7:56 am #

Thanks Sam! I feel like these things make sense in how they tie into organization and how you organize your life. I’ve got a ways to go too, but each little thing helps. Good luck with the planting!

8. Sam Aron March 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Number 4 is keeping me down too, Megan! I always thought feng shui was a little kookie, but after reading your post, it makes a lot of sense. I love the tie to organizing too. I’m going to go plant some vegetable seeds that have been sitting on my counter all week. One less lurking item my brain is trying to suppress (prob about 100 to go :) . Good post!