Modular Canisters Make Me Happy

I recently re-did my "baking cabinet" because we had new and improved modular canisters launch!

The current situation was okay but not optimal:
Pros #1: Decent space
Con #1:  I couldn't see what was in the back.  For instance, I had to take down the front small canisters to reach the big flour and sugar ones in the back (which just so happen to be commonly used).
Con #2:  The jumbling on the bottom wasn't well organized.  I have glass front cabinets so I like it to be a little neater than this.  Also, the Crystal Light containers kept tumbling out.

2_canisters-before

Since the new modular canisters launched, I'd been wanting to try them out.  My process was:

Step #1:  I took everything in the middle out.
Step #2:  I put the ingredients in new modular canisters
Step #3:  I took the Crystal Light out of its package, and put it in the little pull out drawer.  For more on the drawer, see my previous post on how much I love these too.

And…ta-da!  Big improvement!  The new canisters are short but deep, so I can see ALL my ingredients now.  I started putting little food storage containers on top of them as well for the  ingredients I have only small quantities of. :

2_canisters-afterpanarama1

I also labeled them with my Dymo label maker.  That step was helpful so that I could tell things apart.  For instance, the Troyer's pancake mix looks the same as the wheat flour.  The cornstarch looks similar to the powdered sugar. This helps me quickly grab what I need to bake.

2_canisters-after

Overall, I am impressed with the design of the new canisters and how they helped me organize baking supplies.

, , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Modular Canisters Make Me Happy

1. lauren February 15, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Thanks, Mrs. Shopper. We appreciate your feedback!

2. Mrs. Shopper February 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

I like the way you save space with the canisters and it looks so smart! Now you are an inspiration for those who need to do a makeover! Smart way to label your canisters too so that is easy to read.

3. Bill August 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

This idea is great and I would like to see a modular ice/cooler packs that can be snapped to forms as needed for my soft pack cooler bags. Like kids toys that allow you to expand or reduce the size by hooking them together.

4. Michelle July 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

I’m having the same problem as Elizabeth – I’ve looked just about everywhere I can think of, including Walmart. They’d be perfect for my pantry. It would be great if they were available to order online!

5. lauren May 4, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Hi Elizabeth – I think they’ll be available at Wal-mart in the summer, so stay tuned. I apologize they are hard to find.

6. Elizabeth May 1, 2010 at 10:08 am #

This is a product that I am definitely interested in. I would buy multiple items. My problem is that it is not available in my area. I checked Rubbermaid.com and they said there is no store near my area code that sells them. They are sold thru Amazon but the sellers want more than the cost of the item to ship them. It’s outrageous!
    I know this would be a hot item. It’s a shame.

7. Sabrina April 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

lauren, your cabinets look great now. When I move to my new house I’ll remember to get a good supply of Rubbermaide canasters.

8. Sam Aron April 1, 2010 at 11:10 am #

Lauren, these look great! You’ve inspired me :) Next project, pantry refresh… Thanks for the post!