No More Trash Bag MacGyvering

This guest post was written by one of our summer interns, Dorothy. She is working in our marketing department!

I’ve spent the summer working and relaxing here in Huntersville, so I decided to change things up and spend the weekend at home with my family. Home for me is a cozy townhome where my dad and brother live. Little did I know that my teenage brother and his friends have also deemed our quaint suburban dwelling their new hangout spot – lucky me! This usually means lots of videogames, lots of snacking, and inevitably lots of trash. Before the 4th of July festivities even started, our trashcan was overflowing with garbage.

Blog - Filled Trash Can

Used coffee filters, egg shells, food wrappers: not so easy on the eyes, or the nose! Yikes, you can see the bag already slipping into the can. Dad was happy to hear that I brought home the 52qt LinerLock Spring Top Wastebasket to try out.

Blog - Liner Lock Closed Blog - Liner Lock Open

He loved the sleek look of the black can and was eager to try out his very first covered trashcan – a breath of fresh air, literally! After years of somewhat “MacGyvering” his trash bags into place, my dad was at first skeptical of the can’s easy locking ability. However, he reported back that he was pleasantly surprised by the wire latches’ firm grip on the trash bag and how well the bag fit into the can.

"The container is so closely matched to the size of the bag, there is no way for the bag to slip lower in the can and come loose from the rim.”

My dad was able to secure the trash bag in a few simple steps:

1. click the lid of the can to the base
  2. press the tab on the lid to open it
  3. place the bag inside the can as you usually would
  4. lift the wire latches in the lid and wrap the edges of the bag around them
  5. lock the latches back in place and you’re good to go!

So do your worst little brother; we no longer have to worry about the unpleasantries that come with several teenage boys – at least regarding the amount of garbage they produce. Overall, my dad seems pleased with his new Liner Lock can.

Now it’s time to vent about your trash bag troubles! Leave a comment below telling us a horror story about when your trash bag fell into the can. Funny, smelly, downright disgusting – product manager and fellow blogger Shannon Joyner along with Dorothy will choose 3 of the best (or should we say worst) stories to receive one Black 52qt LinerLock can each. All comments must be in by July 26th at midnight. Please include an email address in your comments so we can contact the winners. All entries without an email address will not be judged. Good luck!

This contest has ended. Thank you to everyone that entered!!!

, , , , ,

10 Responses to No More Trash Bag MacGyvering

1. replica rolex watches July 28, 2010 at 4:24 am #

2. purses July 27, 2010 at 3:31 am #

3. sara July 22, 2010 at 6:00 am #

I have daily trash problems! With 5 kids, 4 of them messy boys, it seems that the trash never makes it into the can, and if it does, then the bag falls into the can. Ugh, trash, I HATE IT!!

4. Bedroom Closet Systems July 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

I love the way that this makes changing the bag simple. Additionally, to keep the garbage out of site and out of smell is always great. The worst liner problem I’ve had was with styrofoam peanuts. Those puppies will blow everywhere and static will hold them to many weird areas. :0)

5. Colleen July 21, 2010 at 12:36 am #

**Warning this one is Gross** Read with Caution!
    The worst trash can liner story I can think of is when my 5 year old was in the kitchen and suddenly felt like he was going to get sick. I stood him in front of the trash can just in case – well the just in case OF COURSE happened! I had just put the liner in the can so guess what – as soon as his stomach contents hit the liner it fell in and the vomit kept a coming – all over the inside of the trash can and the top of the liner. Least to say I took it all outside afterwards and hosed everything off. Boy I can still smell that terrible smell as I type this.

6. Kay July 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm #

The worst was when an old roommate would dump the dirty cat litter into our kitchen trash can, usually right when it was almost full. If you bumped into it accidentally, puffs of cat litter dust would fly into the air…yup, about as pleasant as it sounds.

7. Zvi July 20, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

Our horror story is when I went to through out the trash last week, I noticed that the bottom of the bin had MAGGOTS and lots of them… white coloured… it made me and my wife sick and I had to take the bin and hose it down after putting chlorine in it

8. Theresa July 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Great blog. Sounds like a very practical garbage can. I have countless examples of the trash bag falling in the can. I have 2 very vivid memories…one was a broken vase. The bag fell in the can and broken glass was once again a messy and dangerous situation. The can seems to solve the safety concern. The other vivid memory is when my nephews stayed with us for a long weekend and suddenly our trash was messier and fuller than ever before. The partially eaten meals were scraped into the trash can only to make for a very messy and smelly can the following day! I think when I have kids I will need a hazmat suit to dig out a sunken trash bag. Seems like a great product!!!

9. Courtenay W July 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

We have a terrible time with this problem. The worst by far is the cigarrette butts. We don’t smoke, but occasionally visitors do, and they seem to think the perfect place to put the butt is not in the bag, but DOWN THE SIDE between the bag and the can!! WHY???
    Between that and the coffee grounds, meat package liners, etc. that get stuck in between, changing the garbage bag often leads to MORE stink, not less! :(
    Courtenay

10. Dan Seaman July 19, 2010 at 9:51 am #

What a marvelous convenience!
    And such a well written article!
    It must run in the family.
    Btw, when can you bring home more free stuff?
    Oops, maybe I shouldn’t have said that……