My Crazy Entryway

Gabby 2 In case you missed my tweet, I recently adopted a little doggy, Gabby, from the Humane Society. Before Gabby came into my life, there were really only two items that came and went with me everyday – my purse and my lap top bag. I kept my keys and wallet in my purse so I knew I could just grab it and go. My entryway was always organized and clean with only these two items.

However, Gabby has added some items to my coming and going routine: leash, poop bags, rain coat, towel for drying off wet paws, etc. All this was starting to pile up on my dining table (the first flat surface you see when you walk in the door). Plus, I kept losing my keys that I no longer just left in purse but took with me on quick bathroom walks. It was driving me crazy because I like to leave my table set with my grandmother's china to show it off and now the china was over shadowed by a huge thing of clutter.

Entryway Before 1

I went out and bought two cheap over the door hooks to fix this problem. The first one went on the back of the door and out of site with my rain coat and towel on it. The second hung out in front and has a place for my keys, my purse, Gabby's leash, poop bags and even a hook for Gabby's traveling water bowl (no she is not spoiled AT ALL).

Entryway After 1 Entryway After 2

This simple fix has really changed my life. It makes everything easy to get and when I walk into my apartment I no longer see chaos but my grandmother's beautiful china. Best of all, it took 5 minutes to complete :)

, , , , ,

12 Responses to My Crazy Entryway

1. Tiffany Pettey September 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

ALL OF THAT STUFF WOULD LOOK GOOD IN RUBBERMAID PLASTIC ORGANIZERS …IVE BEEN TRYING TO WIN THOSE

2. Erin Gentry September 13, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Crystal – it is super easy to do! Conquer your clutter today :)
    Vicki – aren’t hooks great! It’s wonderful being able to quickly grab what you need.

3. vicki wurgler September 11, 2010 at 11:57 am #

I too use door hooks that way I know where my purse is at all times!

4. Crystalb September 10, 2010 at 3:04 am #

wow loooks like mine does i definatly need one of those!

5. Erin Gentry September 9, 2010 at 10:12 am #

Tamara,
    Shoes are my enemy. I am not your typically girl because I really do not like them and they use to end up all over my apartment. Now I keep them in three open bins by the door. Not very pretty but VERY FUNCTIONAL and easy. Plus the bins keep them contained. See the post I wrote about it here – http://blog.rubbermaid.com/home/2009/08/organizing-your-shoes.html

6. Erin Gentry September 9, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Thanks Kimberly! If you use this set-up I hope it works out for you. I have definitely had to make a conscious effort to put the leash on the hook the first few days but now it is becoming second nature!

7. Tamara B. September 9, 2010 at 12:30 am #

My entry way is always cluttered with shoes and flip flops from the children. Even though I have an entry way coat closet they still end up right back by the doorway. It drives me crazy!

8. Kimberly September 8, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

She is so cute. I need this type of setup. We have dogs and trying to find their leashes, halters, etc, is so time consuming. My family knows one of my biggest pet peeves is when I can’t find something. Thanks for the tip!

9. Erin Gentry September 7, 2010 at 8:46 am #

Hi Joan,
    We do have a divided Easy Find Lids food storage container that will keep food portions separated. I do not know of a lunch box that does this. Contact our consumer support team and they should be able to help you out. Follow the link below for their contact information:

10. Erin Gentry September 7, 2010 at 8:43 am #

Thanks Brandy! It has been so fun having her in my life :)

11. Joan September 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm #

I have been told that rubbermade makes a specialty lunch box with compartments so all you have to do is open the lid and all of your lunch has stayed in its own compartment. Does anyone have any info on this product?

12. Brandy September 3, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

Gabby is a cutie. Thats a good solution.