The Traveling Totelocker

Wanted to share a great story from Denise about her Rubbermaid totelocker!  We love these stories from people who use our products….

I have a great Rubbermaid testimonial.  Nineteen years ago I was graduating from high school at age 17.  My summer job was as a traveling camp counselor throughout Montana and Wyoming.  As a going away gift my mom bought me a Rubbermaid totelocker in which to haul all of my stuff easily from camp to camp.  It is purple and blue with pink and yellow locks and back then it cost the exorbitant sum of $40 at our local Coast to Coast.  The trunk became a big joke among my fellow counselors, especially the gallant guys I traveled with because they hauled it for me.  When I started college in Minnesota that fall the trunk became storage as well as furniture in my dorm room.  The trunk went to New York for graduate school and then to Nebraska for my husband's first job.  When he became a US Navy officer we went overseas to Iceland for our first duty station.My purple trunk came along and held precious memories gathered along the way.  We are currently at our final duty station, in Virginia, as he is retiring this summer.  Our next adventure is taking a year to travel in our RV which begins in September.  This morning I got out my purple trunk because I plan on taking it in our RV to hold our winter clothes.  As I was getting it ready (it had been in use as an outdoor sports gear holder) I suddenly realized how many adventures on which my trunk has accompanied me and I got a bit sentimental.  I had it long before I had a degree, a husband or children.  It still looks practically brand new and I now have a college degree, two master's degrees, a husband, two boys, a dog and my purple trunk has travelled the world with me.  Of course, I have many Rubbermaid trunks and containers but this one will always be my companion.   Thank you Rubbermaid for making such long lasting products!  ~ Denise T.

Tote locker

11 Responses to The Traveling Totelocker

1. Jacqueline August 10, 2013 at 2:51 am #

I bought three of these totes when I first joined the Navy 21 years ago. I still have all three and bought a fourth that I found at an estate sale! Like Denise’s, mine have traveled the world. The reason I found this thread is that one of my latches broke in the most recent move (to Japan) and I’m going to make a claim though, sadly, I won’t be able to replace it. I’ll take the suggestions of those above and tape it for transit.

2. Montana Autumn June 27, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Rubbermaid,
    Pah-lease, make both sizes of the Keeper Totelocker again (exactly the same as they were before, as requested by more than one customer before me)! I personally have the hunter green and tan totes and they are my #1 favorite tote for camping, caving, festivals, etc. Whatever kind of plastic from which they are made does not take on that horrid chemically-off-gassing smell that other plastic totes (including Rubbermaid) get over time nor do they get sticky and tacky like the other plastic totes.

Thank you for your consideration!

3. Barney June 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

I agree!

Please make these and the larger totelocker again!

Mine have lasted over 20 years but are getting on in age…

4. Lisa May 20, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

I got here because I am searching to buy more tote lockers. I have a red and gray one that I currently use for my camping kitchen box. It is the perfect size and heft. Please make them again (exactly the same), Rubbermaid.

5. Miriam Noyes May 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

My family travels between the U.S. and Africa. We are so unhappy that these have been discontinued, Rubbermaid!! No one makes anything that can touch them, including you. Their only weakness is that the handles can flip up and get broken off in transit (say, in airlines). We tape them down for travel. We continue to use our old ones (yup. Just like this one.) and try to buy similar totes as needed.

6. Susan White November 9, 2012 at 9:03 am #

I have 3 for my kids, now in their 20′s. This sturdy, awesome tote has preserved all their childhood memories through mulitiple moves and damp basements. This is one great tote!

7. Pam June 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I wish these were still available!! I love the colors!

8. lauren October 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

I wish! I think it was discontinued a few years back. The closest thing we have is the Action Packer tote.

9. Sara October 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

I have one and would love to get another – are there any stores that sell them still?

10. Chris October 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

I had that exact one back in 94-98, when I was in college. I think I still do, down in the basement!

11. Grace September 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm #