Clearing the Cabinet Clutter

You guys might remember about a year and a half ago, I made over my friend Randi's closet.

Randi's Closet Makeover Series  – Part 1: The problem Part 2: The makeover process Part 3: The end

I am happy to report that Randi is engaged and she is getting married in June. However, her fiance Ryan, has recently moved in to her 1100 sq foot condo and they are finding space to be a bit of a challenge, especially in the kitchen area as wedding gifts are starting to arrive with no place to fit them.

Knowing how much Easy Find Lids containers could save them space, I volunteered to help with the cabinets.

THE BEFORE
I took everything out of the food storage cabinet.  Just to give you an idea, look how much stuff was crammed in there!

A_1a A_1b

THE MAKEOVER:
We were able to consolidate her containers by using Rubbermaid Premier, which have the Easy Find Lids feature so that the lids snap to the bottom and nest neatly.  We were able to maintain nearly the same number of containers she had prior, it is just these are "smarter" for storing than the variety she had compiled.  Look, more room for wedding gifts!

A_2a

THE AFTER:
Since their old containers would just cause clutter if they went back into the cabinet, I wanted to ensure that they got a "second life" vs. have them end up causing clutter somewhere else. Here is a montage of what their new purposes have become:

NewUse

What do you use old containers for?  What ideas do you have to recycle or re-use them so you can open up your cabinets for a smarter storage solution?

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to Clearing the Cabinet Clutter

1. Jill Marie October 27, 2010 at 11:01 am #

What a fantastic project! And I love the examples of how you repurposed the other containers. Great (efficient) work!
    Thanks for sharing. I love me some before and after shots!

2. lauren October 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm #

Lamb, Hannah and Jodi T – glad you like the ideas for how to reuse the old containers. Feel free to email us with any more ideas for what to do with the old containers to make sure they get a new life outside the cabinet. My email is Lauren.Spahr@rubbermaid.com. We love receiving stories!

3. lauren October 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

Billie R and Christine – glad to hear you like the neat cabinet inspiration. Hope you are able to win the battle over cabinet chaos soon (maybe in time for Thanksgiving!) Good luck! :)

4. Tabitha K October 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Great ideas. We use old plastic containers as compartments for different types of nails, screws and such in drawers in the garage – it helps keep things separated and organized.

5. Jodi T October 17, 2010 at 6:29 pm #

This is exactly what I need to do! Great ideas ;)

6. hannah October 16, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

I love using old containers for anything and everything. Some uses you showed above, I also use them for cat dishes, or for small paint projects. I also like to use those smaller containers for sorting things like pins, elastics and change.

7. Lamb October 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Well that’s about a million times better! As for the old containers, I use mine as drawer dividers and as a hole when playing miniature golf :)

8. Christine October 15, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

My cupboards look mezo mezo like your first picture. I’m getting there!

9. Billie R October 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

My cupboards look surprisingly like your first picture. I’ve really got to get in there and sort things out! Often when you open the door, things tend to fall out at you. I think that’s a sign that they want to be neatly organized. Thanks for the tips!

10. Megan G October 15, 2010 at 8:36 am #

Well done Lauren! The built-in organization of the EFL system is the best! It’s great to see the other containers used for other purposes. I use mine for batteries, hair ties and a variety of other small things around the house.
    I had this same problem before Eric and I got married. At our apartment, we had all gifts shipped to our parents – because we had no room – and when we moved into our house a year after our wedding – we finally were able to open (and enjoy) all of the wonderful gifts.
    CONGRATS TO RANDI AND RYAN!!