My First Slow Cooker Meal

I have always been a fan of a good pot roast, but have never had the courage to make one myself.  While it's simple enough, I was always fearful that I could mess up a good thing.

Well, I threw caution to the wind and finally decided the cool, almost fall weather was ideal for a pot roast.  I convinced my Dad, the world's best cook in my book, to take me grocery shopping.

We picked out a 2 pound roast, 2 baking potatoes, carrots, a white onion, and a large package of white mushrooms.  I planned to throw everything in my crock pot the next morning so it would cook all day while I was at work, but the idea of having to get up early to prepare the meal was nauseating.  So, I washed, peeled, and chopped all my veggies the night before so that they were ready to go when I got up.  I also chopped a few garlic cloves and let them soak in low sodium chicken broth over night.

I tossed everything, well all that would fit, into my crock pot (plus the garlic "broth" and a glass of water), and set it on low to cook from 7 am until I got home that night.  My house smelled amazing and I could hardly wait to eat.  I scooped everything out of the pot into a Calphalon Enamel Cast Iron Baker for serving, and then threw the left over veggies into the broth and let them cook for the rest of the evening.

The meal was fantastic, and the left overs were even better. Plus, it was the perfect use of my time the night before and some time in the morning to have a meal ready when I got home.

Pot Roast

I think I may have created a Slow Cooker Monster in me.  Got any recipes that I can try?

, , , ,

9 Responses to My First Slow Cooker Meal

1. Allie October 16, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

Yumm I love pot roast.

2. Jamie Baker October 14, 2010 at 8:04 am #

TypePad HTML Email
    Thank you Connie. I
    agree completely. I found some more recipes and will be giving them a
    try. The Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe I got from http://www.ehow.com was amazing! I would
    definitely suggest trying this, if youre a soup lover.
    Heres the link to the recipe:

3. Connie October 13, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

Oh I love slow cookers! You can complete your meal while you take care of other important things during the day, and still have a hot, tasty meal waiting for you.

4. Jamie Baker October 7, 2010 at 8:37 am #

This is great news for me. I have started a new work out plan, and completely made over my eating habits. I am so happy to hear, especially with winter coming, that I can keep my crock pot meals in my diet. Thank you.

5. CAPlastic Surgeon October 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Crockpot meals are really great for you. You can lose weight and feel better by eating things like the beef and veggies you’ve made here. It’s a great way to get a ‘body makeover.’

6. Jamie Baker October 4, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Thank you, Dahava. I can’t wait to try these.

7. Dahava October 2, 2010 at 7:53 am #

One of our family’s favorite recipes is crock pot tacos! They are so good and SO EASY. Here’s a link to how we make them: http://getsimplifized.com/quick-tip-easy-crock-pot-tacos

8. Jamie Baker October 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Lauren,
    Thanks so much for the recipes. I will have to try these out, especially since it’s getting cooler here. I found a new recipe for Chicken Gnocchi soup – if it’s a “go”, I will have to add the recipe.

9. Lauren Spahr October 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Jaime, I love slow cooker meals. I just wrote out 3 for my friend Noelle who just had a baby and is low on time. Here they are:
    Erin Gentry’s Mom’s Brunswick Stew
    -package chicken
    -2 cans creamed corn
    -1 can lima beans or other veggie
    -big can crushed tomatoes
    -chopped onion
    Chicken Southwestern Stew
    -package chicken
    -black beans
    -corn
    -2 jars of salsa
    Either serve as “soup” or over rice
    Pad Thai mix
    -chicken
    -chopped red pepper
    -onion
    -3 T of chili sauce
    -1/4 t cayenne
    -1 cup water
    -1/4 cup peanut butter
    Either serve with rice noodles or over rice