Organizing Your Links

The other day I finally had enough – Enough of the long list of links that show up in my favorites or bookmarks. Now, don't get me wrong – I LOVE this feature. I can never remember web site urls and I love to save interesting articles and blog posts to read at a later date when I need inspiration. However, when you can't find the link you want because your list is too long or have to scroll down for a link I use 5 times a day. It doesn't work and wastes time.

So I had enough and decided to do something about it. I took my list that looked like this:

Starting bookmarks
(There were more links if you scrolled down but I couldn't capture those in the screen shot :))

I opened every link and decided if I needed it or not. The criteria for keeping was just like keeping items – have I used this link in the past month?, does this link contribute to my work?, is it worth seeing this link everyday to get to other links? For anything that did not make the cut – I deleted (which ended up being quite a few links!)

I then organized my links into folders (I gave them all a specific home like you should do with anything you organize). Now, this is an extra step to getting to links instead of just clicking favorites or bookmarks and clicking the link. However, it is faster because each list is shorter in my files so I can find the link quicker even though I now have to click favorites, folder name and then the link. Compare the list above to what my list now looks like!

Sorted Bookmarks

Even though this is just a little change it has made a huge difference everyday at work. I took a frustration, quickly changed it and it is so much better! What little thing has been bothering you that you could quickly change?

, , ,

11 Responses to Organizing Your Links

1. Ricardo October 15, 2016 at 11:52 am #

I savour, cause I found exactly what I was having a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

2. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 5:23 pm #

Greetings! I’ve been following your web site for some time now and
    finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from
    Lubbock Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent work!

3. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 9:28 am #

I do accept as true with all of the ideas you have offered for your post.

They are very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very
    brief for beginners. May you please extend them a bit
    from next time? Thanks for the post.

4. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite
    specialists of this sector do not notice this.
    You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

5. descargar minecraft actualizable October 8, 2016 at 6:26 pm #

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using
    for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because
    I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options
    for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of
    a good platform.

6. Lenita October 6, 2016 at 8:16 am #

I genuinely feel this web site desires far more consideration. I’ll in all probability be again to read far more, thanks for that info.

7. Carrie October 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm #

I try to do this every two months or so. It feels great to get all those links organized, PLUS makes stuff so much easier to find!

8. Home Organization October 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

Good advice. Thanks!

9. tina bentick October 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

i really need to do this, my favorites list is out of control.
    anchor text

10. Erin Gentry October 8, 2010 at 10:04 am #

Kari,
    It really is worth the effort and did not take as long as I thought it would! Plus once you have a system in place it is so much easier to keep it organized by just adding a new link into the correct folder 🙂

11. Kari October 8, 2010 at 9:19 am #

I really need to do this, my favorites list is out of control.