Baby Closet Makeover

Today's guest post is from Erin who blogs at Domestic Adventures. She wrote this post on her own blog and agreed to let us feature it here. Erin is currently getting her first child's nursery set up and I love everything she has done. This post is about organizing the little one's closet. Enjoy!

Our unborn child is probably the most spoiled person ever.  Or maybe I am.  Either way, we were surprised with a second baby shower recently and our little boy now has a ton of stuff.

Upon arriving home from the shower I had the most urgent need to organize.  The amount of baby gear and clothes was overwhelming, and it was all in a pile in our nursery.  I was twitching so I knew it was time to get the nursery closet organized.

Like any good closet organizer, I first divided up all the goods based on size and category.  The whole nursery floor was just covered.

Once I had a general idea of all of the categories of stuff, I set off for Lowe’s to pick up the closet organization system that I had in mind.

I had previously used this Rubbermaid Homefree closet system in our walk-in, so I knew it was just what I needed.  I love the system because it is super flexible and I can actually install it on my own.  Let’s be honest, I have no idea what kind of functionality this closet will need in a few months and years, so the fact that I can customize it over and over again using the same basic shelves and rods is fantastic.
Plus, everything you need comes in this one manageable box that even a pregnant lady can lift (okay, I loaded it into the cart and car, but my husband carried it upstairs once I was home).

The closet system is quite easy to install, but you need some time and patience for the first few steps.  I’m a total geek, so I actually collected all of the tools I needed before I got started.

With my trusty studfinder in hand, I found and marked studs across the wall, attached the top rail, and then installed the vertical rails.  I did all of this on my own, but it would probably go a lot faster if you had a second pair of hands.  But, my husband was busy painting in another room, so I can’t complain.

After about 1.5 hours of work, this is what I had accomplished:

I know it doesn’t look like much, but it goes really quickly from here.  Before I knew it I had shelves and rods all installed and filled!

There are all kinds of cool accessories that work with this closet system, like shelves, bins, baskets and shoe holders, but I held off in investing in those items at this point until I see how the closet actually functions on a day-to-day basis with our little guy. I’m sure I’ll be adding more elements to the closet in the future.

And, I know the jogging stroller and car seat wont be staying in the closet for long, but I love that they fit in there for now!

Right now I am using the green bins and the little drawers to hold some of the tiny baby items, like socks and hats.

I have all of our various blankets and swaddles in the yellow bins and big white basket.

And all of the clothes are hung according to size.  I haven’t removed tags or washed most things yet, but it really helped me to organize things in this way so that I can see what items/sizes we have and determine what we still need.   Plus, many wise friends have advised keeping tags on (especially the newborn sized clothes) until you are sure the baby will actually fit into them or wear them.

How cute are those clothes!?

I felt so relieved to have the closet put together and all of the items stowed away.  It still amazes us how much gear is required for this one little baby!

10 Responses to Baby Closet Makeover

1. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 11:48 pm #

It’s remarkable to visit this web site and reading the views of all mates concerning this post,
    while I am also eager of getting know-how.

2. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 10:31 pm #

My family members always say that I am wasting my time here at net,
    however I know I am getting knowledge daily by reading thes pleasant articles.

3. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 10:13 am #

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it 😉 I may come back yet again since i
    have bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the
    greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

4. como descargar minecraft para pc October 11, 2016 at 7:26 am #

Highly descriptive blog, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

5. Kira October 6, 2016 at 7:34 am #

Hey there would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a honest price? Thanks, I appreciate it!

6. seo October 4, 2016 at 4:39 pm #

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

7. Nicole July 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

I love that closet system. I wish my closet was that big! I found using a closet rod extender/doubler was a good solution for a tiny closet. Any other tips for tiny closets? Have you had any luck with beind the door organizers at all?
    Here is the closet extender I really like:

8. Kendra November 29, 2010 at 12:24 am #

Great info! A belated happy Thanksgiving to you and your readers, and a pleasant holiday shopping season.

9. Pooja Gugnani November 10, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

Great article Erin and congratulations! I will certainly be recommending the Rubbermaid Homefree system as I organize for my mommy & mommy-to-be clients. Thanks for providing the pictures to go with it!!

10. Julie Bestry November 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

I’m always impressed with how easily installed the Rubbermaid Homefree closet system is. However, had I been in the room, my “extra pair of hands” would have been useless to you, because I wouldn’t have been able to resist picking up and playing with each adorable tiny outfit. So cute.
    Great closet design and organizing, and congratulations on your new little one. May you and your little bundle of joy be happy and healthy!