Ornament Storage Dilemma Solved!

Closeup Meg_after

This year as I unpacked our holiday decorations and ornaments, I realized that I had them all stored in random shoe boxes, bags and some of them just loose in my big "christmas" tote. (At least the tote was labeled, right?) So when I went to put everything away, I wanted to use a better solution. I went to the store looking for storage products specifically for ornaments; however, everyone else got to them before I did. With those being sold out, I literally roamed the aisles looking at products I could repurpose to store my holiday ornaments. I ended up with something that I already repurpose in another area of my house – a shoe organizer!

The pockets are a perfect size for ornaments, and I could actually fit more than one ornament in each pocket. For more fragile ones, I wrapped them with tissue paper. The organizer is made out of plastic, so that in itself creates a barrier between each pocket. I folded it in half along one of the seams and laid it right on top of everything inside my tote. Off it goes into the attic until next year!

How do you organize your ornaments?

About Megan G

I'm a easy-going, hard-working, sport-loving gal from Michigan who is proud of her midwestern roots. Graphic designer by trade and a sports fanatic by heart. My friends tell me, "Meg, you need to slow down!" but usually I don't listen :) Some of my favorite things include traveling, playing and coaching volleyball, going to sporting events, going to the beach, finding new ways to be creative, seeing new places, and helping people and the environment.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Ornament Storage Dilemma Solved!

1. Megan G February 8, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Thanks Jackie! I keep finding more and more uses for it around the house, that is for sure. I’m sure I’ll come up with something else soon – ha!

2. Jackie February 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

It’s amazing what you can use an over the door shoe organizer for. Great idea!

3. Megan G February 7, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Well if it’s worked for ten years, then it sounds like it is a good solution for you and your family! Thanks for sharing Debbie. Great job with the labeling!

4. Debbie February 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

Newer ornaments go in their individual boxes, which got labeled as it came in, as to which child it belongs to and what year it was bought/gifted. Older non-boxed ornaments are wrapped in tissue paper and then in shoeboxes and then in larger rubbermaid containers. Each child has her own labeled large container so when the time comes to leave (if ever, haha) they can just grab it. This has been for the last 10 years or so, but need to catch the older stuff up.

5. Megan G January 31, 2011 at 9:38 am #

I love the themed tree idea! It sounds like you have a good system that works for you, and that is all that matters. I had NO system whatsoever, and we don’t have that many ornaments (only one small tree), so we’ll see how this solution holds up over the years :) Great job on labeling too Teri!

6. Teri January 31, 2011 at 9:24 am #

I’m redoing my whole Christmas storage thing. We have one large tree which has ornaments passed on to us and our ‘yearly’ ornaments. Then I have 3 table-top trees, each with a different theme: our travels, nativity, and ‘funky’.
    I now am packing my ornaments by what tree they go on. I wrap them in tissue paper or back into their own box, and they are stored in a labeled Rubbermaid tub.