I dream of a laundry room or mudroom. It's on my "in my next house" list. For now my reality is a laundry closet with bifold doors. When I got my washer/dryer many years ago, I lived in an apartment that only fit a stackable set. We still have that, which saves me some space. I was well aware that our laundry closet could function much better than how we were currently utilizing it…
Here is what is going on in there (The BEFORE):
• Reveal mop and duster wand thing stuck in back corner
• set of plastic drawers (used for hats/scarves/gloves)
• space on top of drawers used as a shelf/surface for detergent (red and white stripe towel laying on top)
• metal shelf-and-hook thing is holding dryer sheets, febreeze, Shout, etc.)
• hamper for put-it-in-there-before-you-go-any-further clothes (since this is right where we come in the back door from the garage – like muddy/filthy/sweaty items).
• random mesh laundry bag hanging on right wall
• PROBLEMS: no folding surface; need to use vertical space
Here is the BETTER version.
• Eric built a table so we now have a functional and durable flat surface. (He reused a piece of old countertop that was left by the previous owners! Here some other ideas for ways to reuse old countertops.)
• hooks are holding our extra Reveal pads (wet and dry) we put hooks on the wall to the left of the washer/dryer and hung the mop and duster)
• detergent is behind the lip of the countertop along with our shredder (Why is the shredder here? Read this post to see why!)
• yellow card organizer lives here now. This way it's more accessible in the kitchen where we have stamps, return address labels and have our "to mail" slot.
• table runner is hanging on the wall (…should be on the table.)
• Slimmer hamper fits the space better
• A small container next to the card organizer holds anything that we take out of pockets before clothes go into the wash (so this doesn't happen again).
This is the most updated version – the BEST version!
• Put in shelves and a hang rod using Homefree Closet system. I now have two shelves to hold more stuff, and a rod to actually hang clothes right there (inconceivable!).
• All detergent and other products fit on one shelf
• Small, plastic 3M hooks are on wall to hold Reveal pads
• Card organizer and shredder both fit behind lip of counter. More folding space! Yay!
• Moved container for pocket treasures to top of plastic shelves, under the table surface
• I added two hooks that normally hold a hang rod for clothes to the bottom of each upright to hang my rags/towels. (I use those to dry my hands after putting in a load of laundry.)
Alright, any way to improve on my "best"? I am open to suggestions so I will have an even better than best version!