Green that works for me: My scrap paper stash

Being a graphic designer, I admittedly [and unfortunately] use a lot of paper. I try to only print when I need to and use both sides of pieces when I can. One thing that has helped me do this is my scrap paper stash. It started as a small pile under my monitor, but now I use a small cleverstore tote (the 6.5 quart size to be exact!) on my desk.

IMG_5883_arrow2

Whenever I print anything that is 1-sided and I no longer need it or it printed wrong (wrong orientation, wrong color, etc…) I cut it up into smaller note-size pieces. (And I cut it up immediately so I don't get any big stack of papers on my desk!) I am constantly making lists, reminder notes and other quick jots, so I am constantly utilizing my scrap paper stash.

I figure at least I'm reusing it as much as I can before it hits the recycle bin. There are lots of interesting and fun ways to recycle or reuse paper. I found some unique ideas on this site. (My fave is how to make your own bows for gifts – instructions here.) As you can see in the close-up below, I'm piling up quite the stash, but that just means that I'll have a lifetime supply of note paper :)

How do you recycle paper at home or at work?

IMG_5885_2

About Megan G

I'm a easy-going, hard-working, sport-loving gal from Michigan who is proud of her midwestern roots. Graphic designer by trade and a sports fanatic by heart. My friends tell me, "Meg, you need to slow down!" but usually I don't listen :) Some of my favorite things include traveling, playing and coaching volleyball, going to sporting events, going to the beach, finding new ways to be creative, seeing new places, and helping people and the environment.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Green that works for me: My scrap paper stash

1. Megan G June 29, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Kids’ artwork is a great way to use the other side of paper! I like your other ideas too :) Thanks for the good ideas Heather!

2. Heather Schulte June 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

I let my kids write or draw on the blank side. I also use it as kindling for starting fires in the winter months. Sometimes I also compost it.
    Thanks for mentioning my craft reuse ideas in your blog! I am nothing if not unique. :)

3. Megan G April 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Thanks G! Working here has for sure kicked my organization up a notch (if that is possible! ha!) Your piggy bank sounds great – what a great idea. I’m sure Gigi loves it :) any reusing and recycling is a good way to go. happy earth week to you too!

4. Giovannasabatini April 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Oh Meg, you always have been a “container freak”! Those quotations actually wrap that label in hugs and kisses!! There is nothing wrong with organization and I think that is a great idea!!!
    My favorite “green project” from last week was making childrens piggy banks out of old oatmeal containers. Add a few cardboard (“corrugate” as my packaging husband so lovingly reminds me) round coin cut outs and we have hours of fun. Okay, minutes because to a 17 mo old…nothing lasts hours! Although this isn’t a new concept, it sure works great!
    Not exactly “paper” recycling but recycling non-the-less!
    Happy Earth Week!

5. Megan G April 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Love it! I do think sometimes that I should make “custom” notepads for people out of my scratch paper…I do have plenty :) Thanks for your comment and link Heather!

6. Heather Grieser April 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

I do the same thing…except I use scrap paper to write my athlete academic session notes. We have tons of scrap paper in the volleyball office, so I cut up the paper into 1/2 sheets and use those, rather than notebook paper.
    Here’s a cool link for another way to utilize yours scrap paper by making it into a notepad: http://www.instructables.com/id/Duct-Tape-Tear-Away-Scratch-Pad/