Ditch the Dumpster – Bravo ASU!

Do you remember how much trash there was when you moved in/out from college? How crazy, overflowingly full the dumpsters were?

I follow a blog from the website Earth911, and I was happy to find this story about Arizona State University and a program they have in place as students start to move out for the summer. It's called "Ditch the Dumpster," and this program started out of an idea driven by the students themselves. It's goal is to avoid filling countless dumpsters – and instead sort everything into items to be donated, reused, recycled or responsibly disposed of (instead of it going straight to the landfill). I found this post about a similar program at Stanford.

Even though it is focused on green practices, to accomplish this does take the time to organize as you are moving. As you go through things, pack things into boxes (or better yet into Rubbermaid reusable totes!), decide if you use/love/need it or if you could/should live without it. Just a small amount of time sorting creates a sustainable practice – reuse (or give to a friend or sell so someone else can reuse), donate or recycle!

I would imagine there a lot of other schools out there doing things like this (I hope so!), but I wanted to applaud ASU for this green initiative! Bravo! [This program even won one of the few 2011 ASU President's Awards for sustainability. That story here.]

About Megan G

I'm a easy-going, hard-working, sport-loving gal from Michigan who is proud of her midwestern roots. Graphic designer by trade and a sports fanatic by heart. My friends tell me, "Meg, you need to slow down!" but usually I don't listen :) Some of my favorite things include traveling, playing and coaching volleyball, going to sporting events, going to the beach, finding new ways to be creative, seeing new places, and helping people and the environment.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Ditch the Dumpster – Bravo ASU!

1. Gerard October 15, 2016 at 5:25 am #

I wish to express my admiration for your generosity giving support to people that really need help with this one subject. Your real commitment to passing the message around had become extraordinarily significant and have really encouraged guys much like me to attain their endeavors. Your new interesting publication denotes a great deal a person like me and additionally to my mates. Thanks a ton; from each one of us.

2. german juega minecraft October 14, 2016 at 8:19 am #

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be
    actually something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward
    for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

3. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

I have been surfing on-line more than 3 hours these days, but
    I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is beautiful value sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made
    good content material as you probably did, the internet might be
    much more useful than ever before.

4. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 9:58 pm #

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no back up.
    Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?

5. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm #

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website.

I stumbledupon it 😉 I’m going to return once again since I book marked it.
    Money and freedom is the best way to change,
    may you be rich and continue to help other people.

6. Shad October 6, 2016 at 8:18 am #

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site. I am hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own site now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.

7. Megan G July 12, 2011 at 10:15 am #

That’s great to hear! My congrats (and props) go out to Colby College as well! I’m assuming (and hoping) a lot of other colleges take on some sort of project like this. Thank you for pointing out another college that is leading the way with their sustainable efforts!

8. Billy Pettengill July 11, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

The same is done at Colby College every year when students move out. It’s called the Rescue. Then every fall the incoming students re-use these items from a Rescue sale.