DIY Little Emergencies Kit

DSC_0691
Life's "little emergencies" can quickly spoil your day or turn into a much bigger ordeal if you don't have the right tools on hand to deal with them quickly!  By creating a little emergency kit to keep in your purse, at your desk, or in your car you can have easily accessible items to handle most of the little emergencies life tosses your way.

In my Emergency Kit: hand sanitizer, lip balm, moisturizing lotion, stain pen, $1 in quarters, cleansing wipe, insect repellent wipe, antibiotic ointment, cotton swabs, cotton rounds, assorted sizes of adhesive bandages, pain reliever, acid reducer, nasal decongestant, and upset stomach relief.

I purchased the clear zipper pouch and used small resealable baggies keep the cotton swabs and bandages clean and the medications separate from the other items in the pouch.  You could also use ont of the plastic zipper cases that pillow cases and sheet sets are sometimes packaged in.  I used my Dymo label maker to clearly label the medication with the name, expiration date, and dosage information.

Finally, I used my Dymo Label Writer to create a cute label for the front of the pouch with one of my favorite fonts off my PC.  Now I am prepared for any of life's little emergencies!

How would you use a little kit like this?  Is there anything we should add?  Let us know your thoughts!

, ,

10 Responses to DIY Little Emergencies Kit

1. metal building siding June 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

It’s amazing in favor of me to have a site, which is beneficial in support of my knowledge. thanks admin

2. Jill Trest December 11, 2011 at 2:33 am #

Don’t forget disposable latex gloves in case of biological emergencies. Never hurts to be safe

3. Emily Hall July 28, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

Love the idea of an insulated pouch if you plan to keep the kit in your car! I’ll be adding some hair accessories, a pen, and some moutwash to mine- thanks for sharing your great ideas!

4. Rebecca July 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Smart! :) :) Thanks!

5. Julie Bestry July 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Add to that: a safety pin, alligator clip, one of those rolls of sugar wafers (that look like Rolaids) to raise the blood sugar (not only for diabetics) when one is stranded roadside, mini-bottle of mouthwash, and a dry-erase pen to leave message on windshield for police if you must abandon the car.

6. Julie Bestry July 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

Have you considered buying a small, insulated, flexible lunchbox/tote at a dollar store and keeping the emergency kit inside that? That kind of basic insulation should keep the worst of the heat from melting/exploding the smaller containers. The other idea is to make sure none of the small containers are filled to the top. If they are no more than 3/4 full, they’re less likely to pop!

7. Erin Gentry July 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Hi Rebecca,
    Unfortunately, I do not know of a solution to storing liquids in hot cars. They will just always have the likelihood of expanding and popping the lid open.
    For your car, keep hand sanitizing wipes and alcohol wipes. I would keep the lotion and chap stick in your purse.
    Hope that helps,
    Erin

8. Jackie July 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

What a great idea for this year’s classroom teacher, especially the ones that have to take along the whole kitchen sink any more :-). All of my teacher friends are all over getting “apple stuff”, this would be a great gift and cheap if you have 2 or more children. One more thing–I like the size for middle school teachers purses’—small is the best!!!!This is pencil pouch size?

9. Rebecca July 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Also, don’t forget rubber bands (for hair too,) safety pins, mini nail file (I hate having to buy one while I am out when I have a million at home),a pen, feminine protection, and mini floss.

10. Rebecca July 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

I love this idea!
    I have had problems in the past when I put one of these in my car. The hand lotion and sanitizer exploded and the chap stick melted. Do you have suggestions on how to safely store this in a car that can get really hot? Or do you know of some products that won’t have a problem with the heat?