Recipe Binder

Please welcome Emily to our blog! She will be sharing posts about organizing herself and her husband (and Newell Rubbermaid employee) Andy. I am so excited to have her on board!

DSC_0284

This Dymo handheld label maker is so awesome, it's my new little sidekick! Totally not like the label makers of the 80's with the funky looking raised lettering… thankfully.
DSC_0562

This handy little device helped me take my stack of magazines that I'd been hoarding, some circa 2002, and turn them into my recipe binder. I got the idea from i Heart Organizing's post about her recipe binder earlier this year.
DSC_0416

My version isn't nearly as fancy as Jen's, but it gets the job done! I used the label maker to create tabs like you would find in a cookbook or recipe box. The labels were super easy to make and you can even adjust the size (so you can fit words like "appetizer" on a tab), style, font and even add borders. There are also lowercase letters, symbols, and numbers too. I skipped on the page protectors and just hole-punched my pages and put them behind the appropriate tab.
DSC_0409
I love my new binder and how nice and neat the labels look! Now I have an organized place to keep all those recipe ideas from magazines or the web. It has definitely made adding variety to our weekly menu planning a breeze!  Do you have a great way to organize recipes?  Please share with us!

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Recipe Binder

1. demarieandrews@hotmail.com August 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I,ve got a large one started for myself some time ago but am now doing smaller one for a grandson soon going on his own with his favorites eats as well as useful tips from MOM & GRANNY……….
    I use the top open sheet protectors, they’re handy especially in my “TO TRY” section, as I can put several for the same type dish in the same one. When time then I go through and decide which to try first and sometime get ideas from the others and easily mix and match ingredients etc etc…………

2. vanessa July 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

This is a great idea, so much better than all of my magazine tear outs stuffed into a folder. lol.

3. Emily Hall July 15, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I am thrilled to be a part of this blog and I looking forward to sharing ideas with you in the future!

4. Emily Hall July 14, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

I love the idea of “Tried & True” Jackie! That might just be my next project, we love to entertain at our house too!

5. Sally July 14, 2011 at 6:17 am #

Way to go Emily!! This is awesome!!!!!!!

6. Jackie Cutts July 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

I loved your idea about the recipe binder however,my immediate desire is to organizer all of my “favorite” recipes, from over the years, from the cooking magazines I have purchased. My binder is working out great just including what I like to refer to as my “Tried and True”. My daughter has one of the new type label makers and I plan on borrowing hers. With this binder i plan on having it as a quick reference when I am cooking for parties, holidays and such. I am hoping it will save a bunch of time that I used to waste looking through a stack of old cooking magazines.

7. Amy July 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Emily, I LOVE this idea! I think I will have to make one!

8. Emily Hall July 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Angela, you really must check out label makers! Dymo has so many options now too, it’s amazing! I just love mine and use it every chance I get.

9. Emily Hall July 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Rachel, what a great idea, thanks for sharing with us! An electronic filing system would be especially wonderful for those with a desk space in their kitchen.

10. Angela July 13, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Emily, I have two binders I’ve made from Real Simple magazines…a recipe one and a remedy one. :) I used dividers, but I like your improvement with labels. I’ve seen these label makers in stores but quickly likened them to the 80s ones. I’ll have to really check one out! Thanks–this is a great organization tool.

11. Cassie July 13, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Emily!!! Love the binder!! Congrats on the feature!!

12. Laura Beth July 13, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Emily, you binder looks awesome and will definitely keep you organized in the kitchen! Way to go girl!

13. Rachel Lehman July 13, 2011 at 9:28 am #

This is a nice way to do it if you want to keep the paper, but I like to keep my recipes digitally in Evernote. Then I can search them, tag them and add my own personal notes and links for customizing them. I usually try a recipe from a print cookbook for the first time, and if I like it, or make special changes to it that I want to remember, I copy it down to my Evernote notebook (including the source for reference). Then it’s always available online too, if I want to share it with a friend. You can also scan magazine pages into Evernote. If there are interesting recipes I see somewhere that I want to try, I enter them in my notebook and tag them with “to try”, then when I’m planning my meals I look at those recipes and pick one or two to make.