It’s January and usually that means every person on the planet is super focused on making changes…good changes. There’s a big push to make new strides and to improve. And, this is good.
But, I’m not a big fan of resolutions. I don’t think they work because they’re usually very grand, like losing 50 pounds in 3 weeks. That’s hard. And unrealistic. And, did I mention hard?
Instead, kick your resolutions into gear by making them easier to reach, kinda like your favorite sweater, instead of like cleaning the fridge.
1. Be real. Can you really transform yourself in just a couple days? I think not. So, although you might start out with a big, hairy audacious goal (BHAG), break into small hairy pieces that are manageable.
2. Start writing. You’ve got to get all those great plans out of your head and onto paper or in one of your tech gadgets. Don’t put that much trust in your memory, after all, you’re not getting any younger. Write down your goals – and the steps to achieving them – so that you can figure out what you’ll start working on first.
3. Stop doing. So, normally, I tell clients to write a daily, weekly, and monthly to do list. And, I’m still all for that. Buuut, there’s value in writing a stop doing list, too. There are things that you really don’t have to do. There are also things that you can let someone else handle. There will definitely be things that you hate doing, so find the right person to pass the buck to.
4. Be serious. I know you’re serious. But you really have to be s-e-r-i-o-u-s. That means picking focused time to work on your goals. Whether it’s 15 minutes a day or a couple of hours a week, you have to commit to that time. Remember, it’s YOUR time for YOU to be the best you can be. Capiche?
5. Partner up. There will be days when you need some encouragement or a swift kick in a certain place. Pick someone who will keep you accountable and on track with reaching your goals. So, if you plan to stop smoking, this person will hound you. Yes, hound you. You might even get annoyed, but that’s ok. That just means you’re one step closer to your BHAG.
Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?
No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!