Paper everywhere! How to organize what to keep. Mail, receipts, paperwork, etc.

First, take a deep breath, look at your mail pile and holler and I mean HOLLAH a good “You don’t control me. I control you!” This project may just change your life… ok that’s going a bit far, but once you get the paper under control with a system that works for you, you can maintain the incoming paper a lot easier.

FIRST CREATE A PLACE FOR INCOMING MAIL + PAPER.
I like to use my office/den which is located just off the front door + near the laundry room/garage door entrance.  If you have one of those cute little kitchen desk cubbies I’d consider this spot.

THEN T.A.K.E. CONTROL
I use the acronym T.A.K.E. for setting up and maintaining the mail + incoming paper.

T… Toss [toss.recycle.shred] Create a spot to house both the recycling + shredder.

A… Act [pay.read.call.decide.enter] This is the heart of this system. You can create files, use a binder with pocket dividers or clipboards. Pick an organizing style that works best for you and your space.

• PAY.  This is where bills land.  Keep a pen, extra checkbook, couple of envelopes + stamps in this area.
  • EVENTS.  Invites and interesting brochures.
  • FILE.  The items I’m too lazy to file immediately.
  • RECEIPTS + COUPONS.  Because gosh darn it I may just use that coupon.  I also keep short term receipts here- b-day presents, online purchases.  Gift cards as well.
  • SPOUSE.  The items that your spouse needs to look at or keep stashed.
  • DECIDE.  Things you need to think about and don’t know where else to put them!
  • SCHOOL . The calendar, the passwords, the contact info etc.
  • PROJECTS.  Are you working on something and want to quickly tuck it away….

K… Keep [file.put-away]
Box up bank statements, investment communications and big packets of stuff you need to keep– don’t deal with a file folders because they will get clogged quickly.  You can stack ‘em or line ‘em up.   Label them:  BANK |  FINANCE  |  TAXES

Add a basket or magazine file box for catalogs + magazines. Try standing these up as opposed to stacking them… You’ll be able to flip through them much more quickly. The new Bento boxes would be perfect for this…Pick the style to match your space!

E… Edit [ remove yourself from mailing lists]
I love getting a catalog or two, but those all credit offers have got to go… go away that is.  Here’s some quick info that will put you back in control.

Drop the ValPak coupons if you aren’t using them! You’ll need your envelope to input the correct info. click here to be removed from their list.

Call the Credit Bureaus to opt out… click here then Contact them again in 2 years.

Remove your name from the Direct Marketing Association Mailing lists by clicking here.

Tackling paper is an ongoing process… so take 2 minutes everyday to maintain your new system!

Krista Colvin is the Organized Lifestyle Expert for AM Northwest, creator of Organize The Whole SheBang [the smart woman’s guide to doing it all], and a self-proclaimed recovering perfectionist. She’s a social media savvy, too much coffee-drinkin’ mama of two. Check out her blog at Organize the Whole SheBang!

Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?

No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!

, ,

7 Responses to Paper everywhere! How to organize what to keep. Mail, receipts, paperwork, etc.

1. Dominique October 15, 2016 at 8:47 am #

Magnificent web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks for your effort!

2. betterscooter.com October 13, 2016 at 8:59 am #

I like these betterscooter.com http://adf.ly/6249830/banner/www.scamadviser.com/is-betterscooter.com-a-fake-site.html!! I received them in beige and white, plus they appear to be to match all the things!! they can be really nice, and continue to keep me vogue. Just about everywhere I go, I get compliments.

3. Will October 12, 2016 at 4:30 pm #

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbledupon it 😉 I am going to return once again since i
    have bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to
    change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.

4. seo October 8, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

5. Genevie October 6, 2016 at 8:17 am #

Hello! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!

6. Michelle vendetti February 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I have court papers. i have so many. they are all for me and my driving record. so i need to finger out how to organize my court papers and dol papers. i have old and i have new. i have some file folders i use for storage but am hoping there’s a better idea than file folders. something that will be stylish for a long ti me and make it fun and easy for me to access my old or new court documents. i have been struggling with this for a long time. please send me any ideas u may have to help me. i can send u pictures too. thanks !