Even though we’re already in the thick of travel season, there’s still time to get this category under control. And if you’re anything like me, you want the packing process to go as smooth as possible without worrying, “what am I forgetting to pack?” By creating a go-to spot for all things travel, you’ll be setting yourself up for success and ensuring a head start to any excursion.
1. Give your travel items a set boundary by carving out a fixed space. By doing this, you’re saying to yourself, if it doesn’t fit, it goes–thus leaving you with a streamlined space that will be a cinch to keep organized.
2. Ask yourself, do you really need it? A few travel toiletries are great but do you need 15 back-up shampoos and conditioners? Most hotel rooms have everything you’ll ever need so try not to overstock. If you do find yourself with countless toiletries, donate to a shelter or put them in the shower and use them up.
3. Don’t forget to add these must-have travel items; earplugs, headphones, travel adaptors, passport holder, neck pillow and the like. By grouping all these items together, you won’t have to go searching high and low before your next departure.
4. Create a packing list and tape to the wall next to the travel zone. That way, you won’t have to reinvent the wheel when you’re packing your suitcase.
5. To maximize space, tuck travel make-up bags and smaller suitcases inside of larger suitcases. A great way to remember what is stored where is to index this process on your packing list.
What are your favorite tips for keeping your travel supplies under control?
Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?
No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!