Setting up the kitchen for organized success is key to making any house run smooth and efficient. Here are my top tips for setting up this multi-purpose room for any home.
1. Purge the big ticket items you don’t use–you know, the ones on the countertop or those found in the deep recesses of your kitchen cabinets. Some fine examples are the waffle maker, the egg poacher and the never used ice cream maker. If you have to have homemade waffles, you can always borrow this small appliance from a friend or neighbor.
2. Create drawers and cabinets with a purpose. Instead of tossing in spatulas and pots and pans, designate efficient homes for each of your cooking accessories. Store pots and pans closest to the oven and everyday dishes, glasses and silverware should live as close as possible to the dishwasher or sink. That way, when you’re putting clean dishes away, it won’t seem like as much of a chore.
3. If your kitchen has limited countertop space—create extra by incorporating a freestanding island. Small ones are budget friendly and can store fruit and larger appliances below.
4. When you can, go vertical. Hang pots and pans, display knives on a magnetic strip and spices do just fine on an organizer for the interior of a cabinet door.
5. And don’t forget the fridge! Designate a spot for each food category to prevent items from getting lost and then spoling. Incorporate labels so that the entire family is on board as to where to put things. Bonus–you’ll always know what you’re out of when you label.
Image from Flickr user travis.vachon used with permission under creative commons license
Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?
No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!