How to organize an odd shaped closet?

When working with an odd-shaped closet, it’s best to get creative and try different storage techniques in order to maximize space and create order. These ideas can be translated in any space but when combined will take an odd shaped closet to organizing bliss.

• Oftentimes, these closets will have a sloping wall (or two) which is when I’ll put the EKBY RISET to use from IKEA. These shelf brackets turn an unusable wall into a storage dream.
  • Corner shelves are also fantastic for making every inch of space count.
  • I’m also a big fan of over-the-door shoe organizers to store bite-sized categories. Even though the room may be odd-shaped, chances are, you’re working with a standard door.
  • Hooks are useful in any room but can be especially helpful with a closet that is a little off.
  • Opt for free standing shelving units that are shorter on depth. This allows the unit to fit just about anywhere–even your odd shaped closet.
  • I love the ease of a rolling cart that can be easily pulled out and accessed in a more open area and put back when not in use.

Image from Flickr user orphum used with permission under Creative Commons License

Beth Zeigler knew she was on an organizing path when at the age of 5 she was maximizing her closet space to function as a second bedroom for her dolls. Throw in her background of delegating tasks to her younger brother throughout childhood–and her transition to organizing developed quite organically. Check out her web site at Bneato!

Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?

No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!

, , , ,

11 Responses to How to organize an odd shaped closet?

1. finnar October 16, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

I ᴡas able to find good advice from your articles.

2. Eleanore October 15, 2016 at 5:50 am #

I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours these days, but I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is lovely price enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the web will probably be much more helpful than ever before.

3. Lonna October 14, 2016 at 11:15 am #

What is your favourite equipment to use? I use an old Canon, which I’m pretty happy with.

4. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 9:50 pm #

This post will help the internet visitors for setting up new web site or even a
    weblog from start to end.

5. minecraft October 13, 2016 at 6:18 am #

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this
    board and I find It truly useful & it helped
    me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped

6. minecraft October 12, 2016 at 8:05 am #

What’s up to all, it’s really a nice for me to go to see this website,
    it includes priceless Information.

7. best roulette system October 11, 2016 at 8:13 pm #

I am not sure where you’гe getting your info, but good topic.
    I neᥱds tо spend somе timе learning mоrе oг understanding mօre.
    TҺanks fߋr fantastic іnformation Ι ᴡas looҝing for tҺis ifo for my mission.

8. Ronny October 6, 2016 at 8:24 am #

I appreciate, cause I found exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

9. Math Problem Solving Division September 28, 2016 at 6:59 am #

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I
    could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?

Thanks a lot!

10. Hollie May 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

When you open my coat closet, I have a shoe organizer on the inside of the door, and straight ahead is a rod that runs from one end to the other, with jackets on it, boots above it, and shoes below it. My problem is that it’s over the basement stairs, so to the left is a ledge that runs half the length, and too far back to reach with a normal human arm. Right now it just has various hoodies and coats folded up and stacked on it, but it’s SUCH a waste of space and so awkward to access anything more than 2 stacks in! I’d love some sort of pull out drawer(s) in that space, but I know those will never get built for me, so I’m asking you for help on how to maximize the space and in turn organize what’s in there better!

Thank you!

11. Latrice April 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

I need a solution on what shelving to install in my odd shape closet that has a window. I have used all of the online deign tools and none of them are helpful. Please help I have removed everything out of my closet and I need to do something fast.