Like many teens, you find it fun to collect nicknacks. They are often memorabilia, whimsical items that make you feel good, and sentimental items. So how do you make them look neat and organized?
Here are some ideas for organizing your stuff:
1. Shelves – if you don’t have shelves, ask your parents for 2 – 3 shelves so you can put your items on display.
2. Shadow Boxes – if your items are a collection, you can display them in shadow boxes on the wall and save shelf space for books.
3. Get a keepsake or memory box to put all the things in that are sentimental items. They don’t need to be out on display all of the time.
4. Cut down on nicknacks – Go through your nicknacks every 6 months and pick out your 10 favorite things. Then choose 10 items you are ready to get rid of and give them to charity or toss if they don’t have value.
5. Don’t add more – Before you bring home any more little trinkets, think about if you have space for it. If you don’t, think about what you can get rid of to make room for your new item. It’s the old one-in-one-out rule.
6. Categorize – If your stuff can be grouped together, put items from the same category into little bins on a shelf. It makes it look neater to put a lot of little things into one big thing. Common categories:
- Electronics accessories like ear-buds, chargers, cords, etc.
- School supplies
- Lotions, perfumes, and other toiletries
- Notes, photos, ticket stubs, and other memorabilia
If you don’t know how to organize, tell your parents that you are ready to do it but you could use some instruction. If you are overwhelmed by it all, again, I suggest you tell your parents so they can help you break down the project into smaller chunks.
I also highly recommend getting this wonderful book about organizing teen stuff: Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens.
Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?
No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!