This post is written by Chicago Professional Organizer Pooja Gugnani, founder and owner of Organizing With You.
While it may not be a formal medical diagnosis, it is a well-accepted fact that there is a direct correlation between organization and our mental well being. How much effect does clutter have on our lives? The answer is, “a profound effect!” Clutter significantly affects our mental, physical and spiritual health. Not to mention; low energy levels, bad moods, poor decision making, pessimism & fatigue among other symptoms. And excessive disorganization can often lead to bigger health problems.
We are what we live in and we typically share a cause & effect relationship with our surroundings. It’s the same –the chicken or the egg dilemma, not knowing which comes first. Because sometimes a disorganized space is the cause of stress or sometimes the already existing stress leads to disorganization.
There’s no doubt that it pays to be organized. This is probably the reason several large companies have now implemented clean desk policies. Even businesses are realizing how detrimental and unprofitable it is for them to have disorganized employees & messy offices.
Fortunately, there are several effective ways to get organized and always the option of seeking the help of an organizing expert. Getting organized is easier if you can apply these five basics of organizing. And these can be applied to any area in your home or office. Organizing is about learning the skills, so once you master these; they will be in your treasure forever!
- Start Small! Don’t make organizing a daunting task. The process will only be somewhat enjoyable if you take baby steps and start with one area or project at a time. Be ambitious but realistic by attempting one task at a time.
- Clean First! Cleaning usually precedes the organizing. As you organize you will see that some areas could use a good scrub. Cleaning sets a good foundation for the organizing and also provides the clarity for your physical space.
- Create a Vision! Remember you are organizing for yourself. This is your space, and you need to know what you want out of it. Take some time to think about how you’d like to use the room and how it could best complement your needs.
- Take Action! After taking inventory of what you need to discard and hold on to, tackle the items by sorting them into relevant categories, assigning a good spot for them and finding the right storage. If it’s easy to find what you need, it will be easier to put it away when done also.
- Make it Yours! Plans and action steps are great, but a space can only be enjoyed when it is personalized. Give it your own touch by adding any favorite memorabilia etc. This will certainly enhance your sense of ownership & desire to keep your newly organized space decluttered and tidy!