With the checked baggage fees imposed by most airlines (particularly if your bag is over the weight limit!) it pays to pack light. Here are some strategies to keep from packing more than you need.
- Plan what you’ll wear. Get away from the idea that you’ll want to be able to indulge your every sartorial whim when you’re traveling. Before you pack, create a schedule of what you’ll wear each day you’re gone (remember to plan for changes of clothes). And then pack only those clothes. Bonus: This takes the guess work out of getting dressed during the trip!
- Pack neutrals. Build outfits around some neutral separates that can be worn multiple times. Light-weight accessories, like scarves and jewelry, can add color and flair to your outfits.
- Go easy on the shoes. Carting around a pair of shoes for each outfit makes little sense. Instead, bring along just a couple of extra pairs that can go with a variety of outfits.
- Bring a light-weight wrap. A light shawl, like the Tissue Weight Wool and Cashmere Shawl from Nordstrom, can be a lifesaver for women. It folds small enough to put in your carry-on (and will keep you warm on a drafty plane), but it’s warm enough to replace a coat or jacket in many climates.
- Use travel-size toiletries. Rather than packing the contents of your bathroom, buy travel-size bottles of your favorite products (or buy travel-size bottles to fill) and keep them at the ready for each trip. This saves on packing time, allows you to carry on your bag more easily, and lightens the weight of your suitcase.
Photo by Camilo Rueda Lopez via Flickr.
Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?
No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!