Gifts hold a lot of power over the gift recipient. As a professional organizer, I see how hard it is for my clients to give up items they don’t use or love if they were a gift. That’s why I always recommend that people give gifts that won’t become clutter.
Rather than giving objects to your gift recipients, you can give services or experiences so that your gift doesn’t end up as clutter. Here are some ideas:
- Give your loved ones gift certificates for spa services. Bonus: Offer to go with them and double the fun!
- Hire a needed service (make sure your friend wants it). Perhaps a gift certificate for a professional organizer, a housekeeper, a personal trainer would be appreciated.
- Offer to provide a service yourself. Maybe you can shovel snow, babysit, or help organize a closet.
- Subscribe to a virtual service, like Netflix or Amazon Prime on behalf of your gift recipient.
- Give the gift of time: make a lunch or movie date with a friend.
I love giving these types of gifts–I don’t have to worry over the gift recipient hanging on to my gifts out of obligation. As a bonus, the whole shopping experience is easier, and I don’t have much to wrap!
Photo by Traci Gardner via Flickr
Do you have a room or area in your home that needs organization help?
No worries – the Rubbermaid Professional Organizer Squad is here with expert advice! This group of professional organizers has seen and tackled it all. Simply enter your question, screen name and email to submit your question to them (any organizing question is welcome, no matter how simple or complicated!). We’ll answer and feature questions the squad can provide the best answers on. Don’t worry – we’ll email you if your question is selected!